This Disappears When Logged In

A Frightened Rankins

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by bluboy05, Apr 21, 2017.

1. bluboy05

bluboy05 Active Member

I have had my Rankins for 9 months now when i first got him he was always out exploring his new home and basking but since he was treated for mites, back in February i took down the desert background and through out all his climbing branches and hides and replaced them with new ones but no background.i bath him once a week and dry him put him back in his viv but when someone coughs or walks past his viv he crouches down and then runs to one of his hides where he stays till the next time i bath him.
    any help please

2. to hide this ad.
  3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, you are causing much stress by continuing to force handle (bathe) the dragon, if the humidity range is suitable (between approx 30 to 50%+) there should be no need to do that.

4. bluboy05

bluboy05 Active Member

I bathe him to keep him hydrated,the humidity in the day time is between 35% and 45% and night time it's between 48% and 55%

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

There is absolutely no reason to bathe the animal to help keep it hydrated, it will get most of it`s moisture from it`s food, if it needs to "top up" it will drink water from a dish.
    You have been receiving advise about the captive care for some months on both sides of the Atlantic and yet you still insist on doing things your own way (which is fine) but what`s the point of asking for help if you don`t want to listen!? ;)

6. dp428

dp428 Established Member

the only reason I have used a bath for a reptile is to aid digestive track, when he was having trouble passing his food, which also originated from husbandry and diet.

Baths to reptiles seem like torture to me, for example how would like it if I placed you into lake and walled it off. then put a log (your arm or hand) inside at my leisure so you will trust me. I may be over thinking it though, heh.

7. bluboy05

bluboy05 Active Member

He is not eating he sleeps most of the day the only time he eats is after he has been bathed then he goes and hides again and different web sites and books say to bathe them
    and i do listen that is why i post questions on hear but when you get conflicting advise which do i follow
    I also had a bearded dragon for 16 years