This Disappears When Logged In

A Few shots of My Beardie or Uro Enclosure

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by Draxx, May 15, 2012.

1. Draxx

Draxx Active Member

Here is a 4x2x2 enclosure I made with a Beardie in mind. I am now leaning towards a Mali Uromastyx in the next few weeks. It is a basic Plywood design with sliding glass doors. The only real challenge was trying to find track for the glass to slide in. Failing that, I did find U channel and simply j.b.welded two of them together for both the top and bottom of the glass, in effect making a W channel for the glass.

It has a 24"" flor. tube inside and two 8 inch incandescent spots on top, each with dimmer switches to adjust brightness/heat out put. Tile flooring with sand in a few spots where I couldn't get a tile to fit and a 4x3"" vent on each side. Background is carved 3/4" foam coated with colored concrete. I may add a second hide if I go with a Uromastyx.

I seem to be getting 125-130 degrees on the upper basking area, anywhere from 85-95 on the lower areas of the tank and 75ish in the hide. Seems about right from what I understand of Uro's. I can turn down the heat should I decide on a bearded dragon instead of course.

It was a fun project and kept me busy..making a mess carving foam with a dremel tool and playing with concrete soup added to the fun ;)
    100_0131.jpg

100_0139.jpg

2. Spyral

Spyral Elite Member

Looks great! I'd vote uro. ;)

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

You did an awesome job, it looks great! What is the size of the upper basking platform?

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The main thing I would do different is to get the basking spot under the center of your UVB tube.
    The way fluorescents work is that the most light is generated in the center area of the tube and it weakens the closer to the ends that you get. The way you have it now, the weakest part of the UVB is where you have your basking platform.

5. Draxx

Draxx Active Member

The upper basking platform is about 10x12 inches. Hard to get a scale in a two dimension photo.

Merlin, I agree I may have to tinker by either moving the tube over a bit or what I am considering is using a mercury bulb for that spot lamp. When I laid out the background, my main concern was getting the platform within 10- 12 inches of the flor tube, which it is..barely.

As I am planning on getting my Uro from Doug Dix at Deer Fern, I of course read his care sheet repeatedly. I note he does not use UVB lighting at all, relying on diet and supplements instead. I must admit this runs a bit counter to my thinking and I am more inclined to provide the diet/supplements he suggests, but also UVB lighting. So, a UVB producing spot is probably in the works.