This Disappears When Logged In

A few rat snakes

Discussion in 'Ratsnakes' started by Amelia, Mar 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amelia

Amelia Elite Member

Here are a few random pics of some of our rat snakes, colubrids never want to sit still for pics.

Here is an albino greenish rat.
    [​IMG]

A normal greenish rat.
    [​IMG]

Our male egyptian rat.
    [​IMG]

Here is one of our king rats.
    [​IMG]

Lastly for now, here is our pair of white sided everglades ratsnakes in their nest box.
    [​IMG]

2. Ryan

Ryan Elite Member

how are their temperments

3. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Very pretty snakes..

4. Amelia

Amelia Elite Member

Most of them are alright, most handle well enough when they are out, they can be a bit flighty, some of them don't have the best temperments though, I suppose if one were to get babies and spend time handling them a lot some would have improved temperments, but with a few hundred snakes its pretty much hard to do everything else and spend time with every animal from baby to adult hood.

5. Ryan

Ryan Elite Member

how much for the egyptian
    how much for the king rat

6. Amelia

Amelia Elite Member

None of the animals posted are for sale.

7. SKULLMAN

SKULLMAN Elite Member

a few hundred!! how to you find time to handle any of them with all the up keep you must have to do LOL

8. Amelia

Amelia Elite Member

Lol. Yes currently we have about 300 snakes, havn't done an exact count, always adding something to the collection, and once everything starts laying eggs and giving birth it adds to it, with feeding and cleaning especially, have to have everything separated and such. It can be a bit hard to upkeep everything to where its spotless, it seems everytime you clean something they mess it up right away. There is always something to scrub and clean around here.

Plus we started breeding some of our own rodents. We insulated and heated a 20 X 20 shed, as well as with an AC unit. We have a few hundred mice breeding, and I don't know how many rats, maybe 50 out there now, and a pair of rabbits now just to see how that will go. I try to keep the rodent breeding fun, by breeding for different colors and morphs in the rats and mice, better than just working with a bunch of albino mice lol. Plus some people pick up the neat colors and stuff as pets. I also plan on getting a few other critters to breed, variety of critters can be a good thing at reptile shows for sure, not everyone wants cold-blooded critter.

The stuff I really focus on handling is mostly the stuff I like, and well for me thats the bigger animals, Erik doesn't have the time for handling, what with working all day on cars, he is pretty beat by the time he gets home. Now that he doesn't have a store though he can focus a bit more on the home collection though. Although I have plans of re-opening a store, that I cost him to lose.

Sorry for the lengthy reply lol.

Amelia

Erik Spisak Tropicals

9. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

i love the first one the albino one, and the egyptian. they're all beautiful but those two are my favorites. i've never seen one like the egyptian. great pics. :D

10. Amelia

Amelia Elite Member

Yes, I believe the greenish rats are a cross between some two rat snakes, will have to ask erik on exactly which ones, so I don't say what I think and be wrong lol. Yes not too many people see the egyptian rats, they actually start out as babies and have patterning, and usually tan and the brownish coloring to outline the markings and such, as they, mature they lose all their pattern and baby like colors, and change to all orange with the black specks/markings that is shown by the adult male up there, the female is a much darker orange than the male.

11. Joe

Joe Elite Member

Very nice rats!!

I like the egyptian but then again I'm biased, here is a link to our baby egyptian, diadem thread , he is just starting to cchange colour now with the red coming through on his head.

My mate is breeding them again this year so i think a female will be added to the brood....:D

12. DarkMagician207

so that egyptian is an adult? cool. :) do you have pics of the female?

13. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Never seen an egyptian ratsnake before,didn't even know they exsist!Very nice!

14. Amelia

Amelia Elite Member

Yes that is the adult male, I will see about getting some pics of the female soon. We produced 4 babies last year, hopefully we can get some more this year.

15. DarkMagician207

thats awesome. they're so pretty. never saw one like that before. :)

16. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Beautiful rat snakes - you certainly have a stunning collection! Please keep sharing pics!! :)

17. Amelia

Amelia Elite Member

I will definately keep sharing, Im snapping pics of various snakes almost everytime I go down into the basement lately.

18. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

LOL :D I know what you mean - we have hundreds of pictures of our reptiles, but we just can't help snapping more! You see them in the perfect position and it's like they are just begging you to take photos of them! :p Look forward to seeing more pics of your beautiful collection. :)

19. Amelia

Amelia Elite Member

Hah..opening rubbermaids in the various racks not all are always willing to cooperate..especially the colubrids lol. Always trying to pose them, and they are always zipping around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.