This Disappears When Logged In

A Few Pics of My Tarantulas

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by BrianS, Nov 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrianS

BrianS Elite Member

Here are a few T pics from my humble collection. I hope there are some more spider/scorp lovers here :)
    I'll post some more pics as soon as I can find what disc they are on lol ;)

Attached Files:

2. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Awesome....

I really like that first one...really beautiful.....Lyn

3. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Great pics! :) We ourselves own 8 Ts at the mo - an indian ornamental, a fringed ornamental, a chile rose, a greenbottle blue, a suntiger, a blue fang, a togo starburst and a cobalt blue. No scorpians though!

Oh and we have another invert.. in the form of a centipede,. Joe brought it home the other night.. hmm lovely! :p

Looking forward to seeing more pics of your Ts! How many do you have in total and what are they?

4. BrianS

BrianS Elite Member

I have 19 Ts at the moment. I don't have pics of all of them yet because some are still very tiny lol.
    I can't get my other pics to upload due to file size. When the site that is hosting my images gets back up I will be sure to show some more pics :)

5. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I only have two Ts right now. Over the years I've also had a scorp, centipede, and some millipedes too though. I want to seriously increase my collection once I get a place to keep them though. I'm really interseted in the less common inverts, like tailless whipscorpions, but I like them all!

6. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

i'm not much of a tarantula person but they are pretty. i especially like the first one. :)

7. BrianS

BrianS Elite Member

Here are some more T pics :)
    Chilean Rose
    [​IMG]
    Suntiger
    [​IMG]
    Redknee
    [​IMG]
    Trinidad Chevron
    [​IMG]

8. Bitis Gabonica

You have so many Ts we have, and so many we want!! No fair!! :D Brilliant pics :)

9. Gevaudan

Gevaudan Elite Member

My Computer finally let me in this site!!! its been forever!!!
    Wow, those are some really lovely tarantulas u gots there!i have one, a zebra t.Female. very lovely in color -blue stripped legs. she isnt very "friendly" she will let u pick her up, BUT will not let u stick you hand in the tank with her (??? im confused) :confused: My boyfriend picks her up alot, i will pet her, but she doesnt care for me, for some reason... her name is Webley (like on the cartoon bobby's world!!!). We also have a black emp. scorp. hes aweful! i wont even try to touch him! (he trys to pinch at me all the time). haha

Jo

10. Inphormatika

Inphormatika Elite Member

Very nice. I'm in love with Ts and scorps myself, not as much of snakes of course, but I veyr much want to get some more. I've only got 1 T and no scorps at the moment, but as soon as I build a suitable system for putting up cages, I'll definately have more.

11. eper-ani

eper-ani Elite Member

Hey Brian is that first one a P. Irminia? I got bit by one of those a month ago and the experienced wasn't that great...The itching on the arm would come and go untill last week when it completely stopped

I have a male that I'm about to breed with 2 females, hope he makes it

O yeah, nice collection

12. BrianS

BrianS Elite Member

Thanx, :)
    The first one is a C fasciatum (Tiger Rump)

13. eper-ani

eper-ani Elite Member

Darn how could I have misidentified those 2 species when I own both...It's the bite I tell ya, the bite...

14. BrianS

BrianS Elite Member

lol!! I think we all get bit once in awhile ;)

15. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Hi Brian-

Fascinating collection. Thanks for sharing.

I just held my first T EVER in my life back in May of this year. Until then I was simply terrified of them, sure that they would bite me instantly. I must say the experience was nothing like my active imagination imagined. In fact, it was Roark Ferguson from AP fame that help me conquer the fear. And now I am enthralled by them.

In your experience, what would you recommend as a "first T", one that is impressive to look at, docile to handle and will tolerate handling? Do they have any sort of personality? Or is it strickly, you're not a bug, so I won't bite you? LOL

Eper and Rachel- Of course I would like to hear your opinion too. I'm not ready to run right out and buy one, but if I see one at the many shows I attend, I'd like to know what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

16. eper-ani

eper-ani Elite Member

Well for a first t I would recommend somethng from the avicularia species because most of them are docile and they look great. Avicularia avicularia are the cheapest priced in the genus but they're one of the more plain ones. If possible get your hands on the Avicularia Versicolor-absolutely beautiful and I'm sure all the t people here will agree with that. I've also been bitten by the versicolor and it was nothing really so even (the versi got stuck on her own web, dont ask, and i had to free her) Avicularias for the most part do not bite but they will sometimes shoot poo.

A lot of people tend to get Rose Hairs as their first species because theyre mostly docile and cheap, but something thats common in most rose hairs is the tendency to fast and that may scare some owners. My rose hair litterally hasnt eaten in over 4 months.

Avics are also aboreal and like to web quite a bit. There are other beginner t's out there but I would recommend the avics.

Note: All tarantulas differ in temperment so just because rosehairs and aivics are labeled as docile does not mean they will not bite.

17. BrianS

BrianS Elite Member

Yeah if you want a colorful spider to handle I would say an Avicularia versicolor or A purpurea. I don't recall ever seeing one with a bad attitude. You can handle any of them if you know what your doing. I have seen people handle Cobalt Blues and the "Pokies" as well which I won't do. In fact I seldom ever handle any of mine. My A avicularia is docile and I have handled it more than my others but of course some of my others are real "bitey" lol. Remember though that each spider has it's own personality.
    Are you wanting to get a spiderling or an adult?

18. Bitis Gabonica

Yeah I'm with the guys, but I would also recommend chile roses.. Our first Ts were a cobalt blue and an indian ornamental - not beginner Ts at all! :D But we don't handle any of them, apart from the chile occassionally. The more potent, aggressive species tend to be more visually stunning, with vibrant colours and patterns, although the more docile species are just as beautiful IMO but in a different way.

As mentioned though, unfortunately it's not a case of "you're not a bug so I won't bite".. they can have "off" days just like any animal. Each species is different in venom though, and some can cause worse symptoms than others, such as temporary paralysis or just an itch like a bee sting would cause. It also depends on how you react.

With a slower, more docile T, it is easier to tell if it is going to bite - they may lift up their abdomens, lift up their front legs, or (in the case of this last one there's not much you can do to stop getting bitten) they will open their fangs and sink 'em right into you! :p -don't want to put you off or anything :D Apparently with the other signs you can attempt to prevent the bite by staying completely still (if you are holding the T) or ofcourse move out of the way if it is not on your hand! :D

You should definately add a T to your collection Dom.. I was a complete arachnophobe, and I am still scared of house spiders :confused: :p but Ts fascinate me!

19. Tammy

Tammy Subscribed User Premium Member

Hi all, Dom's wife here. First of all, I rarely say no to my husband on any kind of pet. That's how Rex came to live with us and started our lives with reptiles. But I AM saying no to a spider in my house! I don't even like the little ones that show up every now and again. So a big, hairy, scary spider that has fangs and can kill the cat is not allowed in my house. Of course, if Dom wants to get rid of me, that would be the quickest way. LOL

20. Demonic_Rage

Demonic_Rage Elite Member

After reading all that you guys and gals have post on T's I have been considering them along with scropians. What would you think about a beginner with a Mexican Flameknee, Metallic Pinktoe, Mexican Flameleg, or well there are just to many to choose from. But those are the ones I had in mind. Any books you recommend on the subject??? Thanks
    Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.