This Disappears When Logged In

A Few on the Honeymoon

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by Rakoladycz, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

So a bit of a story and pictures are at the bottom if you don't want to read it.

Sept. 18th I got married, sept 19th. I flew to Phoenix, Arizona with my WIFE (different). We stayed at the Wyndham Resort in Flagstaff. Hiked and saw stuff all over Arizona.

Hiked around Lennox and Sunset Crater and all the other things on the Wapatki National Park the first day. Toured all of the south rim of Grand Canyon the second and Glen Canyon Slow water tour the fourth.The fifth day was a hot air balloon ride over Sedona. All we saw was Jack Rabbit(for wildlife) The final day we hiked and sight saw around the petrified forest and painted Desert.

The first three pictures are of a Horned Lizard we found at Lennox Crater, not sure on its' specifics. We nearly stepped on him and he scurried that is how we found him. He was quite good for the pictures and surprisingly didn't really fight to be caught or handled but seemed quite attentive.

The fourth picture is of a lizard we found in Wapatki. We saw alot but most ran off before we caught a shot of them.

Next we have some Mule Deer at the Grand Canyon. I was suprised how close we were able to approach for pictures. They were maybe 15 yards from a parking lot.

The sixth picture is of a lizard found in Sedona. Another one I'm not familiar with.

The last two are from the petrified forest painted desert. The first is a collard lizard and the other is unidentified by me yet.

Originally I was going to look them up but thought maybe some of you may enjoy identifying them. I would prefer to have the scientific name as well as common. If no one wants too I will eventually do it myself and share.

I was disappointed I didn't see more. I expected to see a snake or two at least and a handful of scorpions. Not a single road runner but did catch sight of a Quail. Heard a pack of Coyotes. We were trying to do to much and really didn't have the time to wait an area out though. Each day we were out well before six(twice 3:30) and back at the resort each night well after nine. Exhausting but extremely fun.

Attached Files:

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Sounds like you had a great time, one day I'll make a trip to Arizona.

Congratulations on the marriage and thanks for sharing your photos with us, they are awesome.

3. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

That horned lizard really blended in with those rocks! I almost didn't see him in that first photo. Congrats and many happy years!

4. Sandi1961

Sandi1961 Member

Nice pics, thanks for sharing!

5. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Congratulations!

6. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Congratulations!!!!!, (Regarding the pictures, I can't positively classify any of them, but I can at least give you the species name for the first couple and 7th pic...the collared lizard is the Crotaphytus collaris, and the Desert horned Lizard is Phrynosoma platyrhinos)...and I could be way off base, but 1 of the other pictures kind of resemble the Desert Iguana Dipsosaurus dorsalis and another possibly the western fence lizard Sceloporus occidentalis?? again, just some thoughts...hopefully someone with more knowledge of that area or the herps will come along and give some other ideas/info.