This Disappears When Logged In

A dumb Question lol

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by steel rip, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

My new curly hair T has started webbing all over her new tank, now she has webbed around her water bowl, how do i go about changing her water, as im sure i read you shouldnt break there webs, I dont want to stress her out, is this true, I have read so many different things on Ts, and you never know what to take as gospel, any info would be appreciated, thanx in advance :D

I think she might be getting ready to molt, as I offered her a cricket this morning and she refused, and with her making webs too I thought she might be getting ready.

2. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

If you need to changethe water, then its no big deal. She'll just fix up the web in that spot. Or, if you want, you can leave it for now. Most of their moisture comes from the bugs they eat. I've personally never seen my Ts drink, but I still provide the dish.

You could be right. The way she's making webs and refusing food sounds like she might be ready for a molt. Once she starts to molt, I'd wait about a week after before you feed her again.

3. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

And there is no such thing as a dumb question...we love questions.

4. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Well said Jay,,,,, I was just too dumb to answer the question.....I know absolutely zero regarding arachnids...

5. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Wow!! I learn something new everyday! I never knew T's can make a web :p LOL
    And you thought that was a dumb question Steelrip? pphhfffttt!! :p
    You know alot more than I do!!

6. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Yeah definately sounds like your curly is getting ready to molt.. they can go off food up to four weeks before they molt, and should not be fed until a week after a molt so that their exoskeleton can harden. You shouldn't leave any crickets in the tank while a T is in molt, as at the time of molting a T is at its weakest and cannot defend itself against an attack - a cricket could actually kill a T when it is actually molting! :eek:

You're right about not disturbing the webbing too much - a T only needs cleaning every 6-12 months, and this is because they make their own homes as spiders do with their web, but if you need to break it to change the water then there's nothing you can do,. otherwise, you could just spritz water into the bowl?

Keep us updated - a Ts skin is sooo cool! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.