This Disappears When Logged In

A Christmas Fat Tail?

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by CrazedHoosier, Sep 27, 2017.

1. CrazedHoosier

CrazedHoosier Active Member

Hello, fellow gecko lovers! You may have seen my other posts from a month ago about trying to find a 3rd reptile. I have found one that I really seem to like. I've fallen in love with the African fat tail gecko. I'll be getting one for myself as a Christmas present! I know pretty much all the basic care, but have a couple questions. Do the females do well with other females, like crested geckos, or do they really prefer to just live by themselves, like leopard geckos? From people who have them, are there any special things I should know about them? How do they compare to leos and cresteds? Also, what is a good starting price for one? Thanks!

2. Taterbunny

Taterbunny Member

Glad you discovered your love for fat tails! ^^ Truly wonderful little lizards.
    They're more like leos in that they do best when housed alone. You /can/ cohab females, but it varies from gecko to gecko whether or not they can get along. Also animals will be animals and you never know if one will get snappy. I've successfully cohabbed female fat tails with no issues, but I was lucky with my girls. ^^
    Nothing too special, they have the same basic care as leos, they just need to be kept humid.
    Price depends on the morph. Normals I usually see from $30-$50, but you may find some around you for a different price.

3. CrazedHoosier

Thanks for the response! Do you know any good breeders? Also, I really only know a couple color variations. I sort of like the wild colors, but with the stripe, so what would that be called? I also like oreo, but I think they’re expensive...

4. Taterbunny

Taterbunny Member

Unfortunately, no. :'D I'm in Florida so I only know Sunne's Reptiles that breeds here.
    Same here, I'm not completely savvy on my morphs. Wild type is basically normals, and stripe is just called stripe. ^^ So pretty much Wildtype Stripe would be the morph name, I believe. Oreos are really cute, but yeah, they're a little more pricey.

5. CrazedHoosier

Do you have fat tails? If so, I would love to see them! I'm still sort of trying to figure out the morphs I like, but oreo is amazing.

6. Taterbunny

Taterbunny Member

7. CrazedHoosier

8. Taterbunny

Taterbunny Member

Thank you! ^o^ I love them so much, haha.
    Nugget (the striped one) is 12 years old. She's probably 4 or 5 inches long from head to tail tip. Poot is 7, I'd say around 6 or 7 inches. Not sure on their weights, but good weight for their size.

9. CrazedHoosier

Wow, they're little legends. I forgot that they're smaller than leos. Do you have a leo? I keep hearing different things about which one is more tame, and I have no idea if any of it's true.

10. Taterbunny

Taterbunny Member

Yeah, I was surprised at how much smaller they were than my leo, given their age.
    I do indeed, my girl Taffy. ^^ She's a normal adult. I'd say afts are more tame, given their demeanor is more laid back generally. Speaking personally, all my geckos are pretty tame, none bite, chirp, hiss, etc. But my leo is a bit more rambunctious. She definitely likes to run and wiggle. My afts just kinda accept whatever, haha, very chill.

11. CrazedHoosier

Going from a crested to a leo, I thought leos were extremely tame. Do you keep your females together? Also, since you live in Florida, do you know about Tiki’s Geckos?

12. Taterbunny

Taterbunny Member

I've never owned a crestie, but would like to someday! They look fun, but heard they're jumpy.
    My leo is by herself, my afts are currently housed together. They've had no issues cohabbed, but I do know that cohabbing can be bad in most situations. I will be separating them as Nugget's health deteriorates. My poor girl has cancer, and I know that animals will be animals, and Poot may attack her as she becomes weak. But otherwise they've been doing great together.
    I do not, but I'm not up on many breeders. I'm always looking for more though. :D

13. CrazedHoosier

I'm so sorry to hear about Nugget. I actually didn't even know reptiles could get cancer. That's so sad. I guess it shows how much I still have to learn. I'll probably end up getting a male fat tail because my crested and leo are both (supposed) males, so I want to keep the weird coincidences coming! Oh, and I actually have another question! Is it true fat tails will sometimes reject mealworms? So many sites have said it.

14. Taterbunny

Taterbunny Member

I didn't either until the vet told me. ;~; I love my little Nugget, but hopefully she'll have more years to come.
    I gotcha. ^^ If you keep the leo's and aft's tanks by each other, just make sure they can't see each other. They may start behaving more aggressively and become stressed.
    Oh, for sure. Mine won't touch worms. I've tried a few times to get them to eat meal worms and super worms, no dice. My picky girls only eat crickets.

15. CrazedHoosier

Oh no! I'll have to adjust my feeding schedule for my leo; right now he does 2 weeks with mealworms, 2 weeks with crickets. Maybe I'll look for one that's already on mealworms. My leo eats almost every insect.