This Disappears When Logged In

A Bad Problem with My Chinese Water Dragon

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Dude4life247, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dude4life247

Dude4life247 Member

My chinese water dragon is about 10 inches and 1 1/2 years old.

He isent eating right. He eats only a little bit every 4 days. Hes eyes are also shut and he can not open it. I have took him to the vet and they said he has a Cal. desorder. So I started with the Cal. now he still does it. Also I sshould tell you he only seems to do it when he is sheding.

Please help, I dont want my lizard to die at 2 years old.

Thank you,

Aaron

Edit:
    Ok, The cage is about 30/12 inches. Its a foot high. I have a small tree,A water bowl(he can fit all of his body in it), A hiding dark log and just a little other unneaded stuff. Its has all the lighting and on one size I know it stays hotter than 85 Dgrees on the other 79 derees. I have the green mold and the wood bedding. Like I said hes about 10-11 inces long and 1 1/2 years old. I have pics of whats going on. One has a semi full of the cage.

Pic 1 -here is the cage pic.

Pic 2 -A pic. of the full body

Pic 3 -A close up of him

Please respond Quick

Attached Files:

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Welcome to the board. Tell us what his setup is like. Temps, humidity, lighting, space... Add a photo if you can.

3. venus

venus Founding Member

Yep, the more info you give us the better we can help.

4. Dude4life247

Dude4life247 Member

Ok I will Add that asap. I will edit my topic when I get a pic.

5. Dude4life247

Dude4life247 Member

I have added New info. Please respond. Oh and also He wont eat crickets. He only eats mealworms.

Please !!!

6. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

First and foremost: he should have more space. Water Dragons like to climb and he has no where to climb in that tank.

Also you didn't say anything about UVB. I can take a pretty good guess and say that the lack of UVB is probably what contributed to the Calcium Deficiency. Even if you have a UVB bulb that is of the right strength to adequately supply your dragon with the needed UVB the screen top you have on that aquarium is filtering it all out.

The Water Dish should also be bigger. Just because he can get his body in it doesn't mean he has enough room to soak. and he should be able to soak his whole body (tail included)

Check out our caresheet as well.
    Chinese Water Dragon Caresheet - Part 2 - Reptile Information - Caresheets Database

7. schlegelbagel

what sort of bulb do you have in there. Exact name/brand/strength/type of light and how old it is.

Also, for your screen top are the spaces between the wires larger than 1/4 inch?

He will need a much bigger enclosure really soon. Check out tricia's water dragon site as well as our care sheet. Hopefully you can see what she recomends, and therefore what yours is lacking.

Care of The Chinese Water Dragon lizard (enclosure, diet, health, illness, temp, heat, humidity, cage, vivarium, terrarium)

8. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

I have to say Shell pretty much covered it.

I'd start with getting a good UVB bulb. Get rid of that screen, and replace it with a screen that's much larger. Any UVB is certainly getting filtered out. When it gets a little warmer, take him outside for a little while to get natural sunlight. This will help him a lot.

Also, at least while he's sick, I'd replace the substrate with paper towels. The vet said calcium deficiency, and hopefully by getting him the calcium supplement and UVB this will help him. But just in case, having a sterile substrate will really help take away any contributing factors to illness while he's weak.

9. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

He really needs more places to hide also, he is very exposed. Even covering 3 sides of the tank may help him feel less stressed.

10. Dude4life247

Dude4life247 Member

Thank you so much.

Anyways,

I have two lights(I dont no the brand name but I do know That I got it at petsmart.) The heat lamp and the trowresint light.

He cant eat without his eyes so how will he eat.

Help!!!

11. schlegelbagel

12. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

You should consult your vet but you can feed him baby food (organic is what I'd recommend, and things high in protein and low in suger, like chicken), or you can blend his greens, crickets/mealworms and supplement into a liquid and feed him with an eye dropper.

I say to consult your vet because the vet may tell you this is not needed, or if it is, he will show you the right way to feed him with an eyedropper. This is usually only used when the animal is very sick.

Before trying that, take a pair of tweezers and grab the cricket or meal worm and hold it up to the dragon. It may take a bit to get him to recognize it as food, but once he does, he should eat to his fill.

Was the vet that you took him to a certified reptile vet, or just a cat and dog vet that agreed to see a reptile? I ask this because I would have thought your vet would have gone over all of this with you; how to treat him and what changes need to be made in his care. If it's a cat/dog vet that you saw, go get a second opinion from a reptile vet. All vets are not created equal, and cat/dog vets often misdiagnose problems in reptiles because they aren't specially trained for them.

13. Dude4life247

Dude4life247 Member

Its kinda a money issue. Its cost 45 dollors to just see him. Thats not to mintion the cost in the stuff he will give me.

Il try everything you have said and if nothing works I will take him to a vet.

Its not like im poor but come on its just a pet. By the time he dies I would have probly spend 8,000 dollors on just a lizard.

I realy love and like my lizard. I have bought him alot of stuff and I have sent him to a vet. All the vet says is that its nothing then thats 45-50 dollors down the hole.

If you were me what would you do???

Thank you,

Aaron

14. Moshpitrockchick

I think that that is a horrible stance to have.
    You are responsible for that lizard, it is your job to see to it that it thrives. The lizard has no control over its surroundings, you do. It is completely dependent upon you for proper care. Proper care includes vet visits and proper housing.

If you are not willing to spend money on it then maybe you should find someone who can take the lizard and get it proper care.

15. Dude4life247

Dude4life247 Member

You're right. Maybe I can find a vet that doesn't cost 45 dollars just to say, "oo he's fine."

16. Moshpitrockchick

Please watch the language.

Was it a reptile vet that you saw, or a general vet who sees mammals?
    You can look for another vet here: ARAV or Herp Vet Connection

Having a pet is a huge commitment. People think:
    Lizard- $20
    Set up- $50
    Food- $5/week

and they don't take into account vet bills, UVB lighting, tank upgrades, etc.
    You find out after a while that it's never as simple as a pet store employee tricks you into thinking it is.

17. Dude4life247

Dude4life247 Member

Im sry bout curse.

Its at petsmart, you can tell he knows about water dragons.

Yeah the people who sold it was al like "oh yeah he real fun" "hes easy".

Il find a cheaper vet but please stay in touch with me and help me out. You guys have been realy nice so far.

18. Moshpitrockchick

Jeeze I hope that petsmart vets are more knowledgeable than their employees, about 95% of them give the good employees a bad name. ;)

Sometimes you have to plan on spending a little extra money for a quality job.

19. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

The majority of the PetSmart vets are NOT reptile certified. You need to find one that is on the list that Lacey gave you. (btw it may cost a bit more now, but if you can actually get to a reptile vet you are more likely to get your animal the care it needs to get healthy faster and therefor not have to spend as much money in a long drawn out process...) I would also like to point out, if you are spending all this money on stuff that isn't going to make the dragon healthier rather on stuff that would help, and it still dies, isn't that just a bigger waste of money than finding out "its ok" would be? (and I think we can all tell you that by the description you have give us, its not "ok".

20. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Stay away from the petsmart vets. They are dog and cat vets, not reptile vets. To make matters worse they are a part of the corporate chain. I had a friend who was a groomer for them for awile. Till she quit in disgust!
    They actually have a written "game plan" for treating animals that pushes how much they can try to get in your pocket for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.