This Disappears When Logged In

95 % finished. look and give opinions

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by Bounette, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bounette

Bounette Member

well if you all have said hello to me in the introductions forum you know that i am new. i have a young Iguana. he/she. not sure of the sex but i call him a he. anyhow, he has been in a 20 gallon tank for about a month now. since i got him. i started this enclosure project about 3 weeks ago and i am almost finished. i kinda did some quick fixes just so i could put him in there and he could start being happy and not be in the 20 gal. any more. i have some pictures to post.:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Attached Files:

2. Bounette

Bounette Member

well as you see in the front of the enclosure there are some make shift pieces of wood. that i am going to replace with one large piece like the one that's next to the door. now don't dog me because this is the first thing i have ever built. so i got the idea of what i wanted it to look like and i went to the hardware store got some wood and started winging it. when i needed more wood i went back to the hardware store and got more and then continued winging it. i am also going to put tile along the whole floor. as you can see the light burned a hole in the pet screening that i used for the enclosure so i had to back it up some and im going to sew a new piece over it. i think that's about it. i'm sure i will also put some more levels in it for him. he seems like a needle in a hay stack right now but i know he will grow into it.

3. Paige

Paige Elite Member

Wow, that little cutie could get lost in there. He must LOVE it! =)

4. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

Nice choice for vinyl tile! I know we are in different states, but I have been looking everywhere for the same stuff you used in your cage, for replacement tiles for my kitchen lol... where did you find yours... home depot here discontinued it.... Not a bad cage either! Your little one must be having a hay day! He sure is cute...

5. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

You might try buying some 1/4in or larger hardware cloth (the metal stuff) to put the lights on, that would be a little safer and having it with squares larger 1/4 inch (atleast) will allow for UVB light to filter in from the uvb light if you don't have it mounted in the cage.

Good job on your first attempt, i'm sure your iggy will be much more happy, make sure he has some good places to hide too, a new larger cage can be scary!

6. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Excellent job on your first project! You did far better than I would have, lol.
    Why would we dog you? It is great to see someone trying to take care of their animals than someone who lets them live out their entire life in less than adequate housing! GREAT JOB!

7. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

You have a very lucky iguana to get such a nice big place to live! :)
    I think adding some shelves/levels is a good idea and will allow him a choice of where to hang out.
    Nice job! :D

8. Bounette

Bounette Member

yeah there are some levels in there. there are two levels. also the vinyl i did get at home depot. $29./sq. i will try to look for the wire to put around the light. i would have put it mounted into the cage but i knew he would probably get burned.
    well i've got to do a couple of fix-it's so i will keep you all posted. thanks for the help and all. bye for now

9. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Nice work:) It's great to see people providing great homes for their herps. Too often you see them housed in the bare minimum space requirements.

10. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

You should be able to find Hardware cloth at home depot. It's basically just aluminum screen that has "really" big holes. The holes aren't really all that big but compared to most screens it is. The 1/4" will allow the UVB to reach your ig no problem, and that way you don't have to install it inside the cage. Another plus to the hardware cloth is that your ig can climb on it (even as he gets bigger and heavier) without tearing it like he would the pet screen. Good job on the enclosure. It looks like he's gonna be happy!

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would get away from the nylon mesh on the rest of the cage.
    The size of the mesh openings not only filter out the needed UVB, but the ig claws can get tangled in it and end up breaking a toe or ripping out a toenail. As the iguana gets larger it will get to a point where it will rip that mesh to peices.
    You will also find that the mesh will make it difficult to maintain heat and humidity.

12. Moshpitrockchick

Merlin is right, I used 1/2 inch hardware cloth for the front and top of my iguana cage and it is a pain to keep heated, I just keep the room he is in hot, even though the wire is now covered with plastic it is hard to maintain....

What kind of uvb light do you have?

13. Bounette

Bounette Member

alright, now 'm a little upst. are you seriou that the vb will not getthrough to hi through that pet screening that i bought???? that sucks.i have a 26w Repti Glo 2.0 uvb light.and then i have a heating lamp also. the only thing is that i have never made anything before. well built anything befoe and i don't have big hardwaretools. i would need somethig to cut that wire screening. i saw that stuff in the hardware store but passed it up when the guys pointed out the pet screening because i's easy to work with. he does climb right up the screening with no problem now. i don't know. i will have to see what hapens. if i can get a hold of the right tools then i will do it. i am open to more suggestions....thanks everyone.

14. Moshpitrockchick

A 2.0 bulb isn't going to put out enough UVB for an iguana, they are better suited to small lizards with low UVB requirements, like Chameleons.

You could try getting a megaray ( Welcome To ReptileUV - Mega-Ray® UVB lamps for reptile lighting worldwide ) and using that as your heat and UVB bulb, and if not I would look for at least a 5.0 bulb, I personally use 8.0 and 10.0 bulbs.

Don't worry too much, it's hard to build an enclosure perfectly the first time, I still change things in dizzy's enclosure all the time...

As for hardware cloth, it can be cut with a pair of wire cutters or tin snips easily enough, that's about a $10 investment at most.

15. Bounette

Bounette Member

well that sounds good enough then. that's not so bad. i'm going to try some adjustments and i will keep you guys tuned in. thanks all for your help

16. Mike616

Mike616 Member

Hardware cloth is definately the way to go... I used the plastic hardware cloth on the sides and the metal hardware cloth on the top, and my girl LOVES to climb around on it...

The plastic stuff can be cut with scissors, but like lacey said, the metal stuff you will need either diagonal cutters or tin snips... Then just get a staple gun to hold it all in place.
    [​IMG]
    I even used it for the bottom of her basking shelf.
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps...

17. nicole

nicole Elite Member

What kind of uvb did you switch too?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.