This Disappears When Logged In

9 Year Old California King Snake Not Eating

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Lotuschild, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Lotuschild

Lotuschild Member

hey everyone...
    So I was given this California king snake that is around 9 years old, and have fed it 3 medium mice every other Tuesday consistently for the past 3 months.. Suddenly this week, it is not eating. I put 3 mice in its home and 3 are still living there... His eyes are kings of cloudy and I found him with his whole body in the water today... Any help on what could be going on would be appreciated. I have attached a video to further explain how he is not attacking his food as normal.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The snake is getting ready to shed. Just leave it alone until the shed and then you can feed.

Lotuschild likes this.
  3. Lotuschild

Lotuschild Member

Ok thank you

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I agree it sounds like the snake is getting ready to shed it`s skin.
    You say 3 mice are "still living in there" , does that mean you feed live and just leave them in with the snake?

5. Lotuschild

Lotuschild Member

I have removed the mice as of yesterday afternoon, but typically I do give my snake 3 live mice and he will kill and eat all 3 within an hour

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Do not feed live mice. There is too great of a danger of the mice attacking the snake. Cal Kings are garbage disposals and you should have no trouble switching.
    It will make everything much easier and safer.

7. Lotuschild

Lotuschild Member

Aright
    The previous owner who had him since a baby has always fed it live mice and nothing else. But if you advise for pre killed then I will give it a try

8. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I second Merlin. It is sooo much easier. If the snake doesnt eat, you just freeze them in a baggie and when he is ready to eat, you just dethaw it and feed it. I usually use a blow dryer to get it a little warmer after it thaws out. if you have any questions, just let us know :)

ferasaeva likes this.
  9. ferasaeva

ferasaeva Well-Known Member

My poor Edgar has scars from his previous owner feeding him live. It's easy to switch, just make sure you do. I've seen terrible pictures of snakes after their meal attacks them. If you have any trouble switching post a forum about it and I'm sure the lovely people here will know what to do.

10. Lotuschild

Lotuschild Member

So do I buy live then stick them in the freezer to die orr how do I go about it? And what size mouse should I be feeding my little boy... He is 9-10 years old and i have attached a photo

11. Lotuschild

Lotuschild Member

12. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

The food should make a lump slightly larger than the width of his body if that helps at all. Try something smaller and you could always move up.

Most pet stores sell frozen rodents. You could buy live and then humanely kill them, but to try it once i would just buy it frozen. If he does eat a few of them over the next few feedings then you could buy in bulk at an online retailer. (beware you will get alot of feeders if you do it that way)

ferasaeva likes this.
  13. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Its up to you really. You could just do fresh killed and see if that works also. Humanely kill them (think fast) and feed it to the snake.

Very pretty snake.

ferasaeva likes this.