This Disappears When Logged In

8'x10' Monitor Cage Plan...

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by uvreptilenh, Mar 18, 2015.

1. uvreptilenh

uvreptilenh Well-Known Member

Sooo, I spend a lot of time virtually rearranging the reptile room using google Sketchup. I had recently received a young nile monitor who will need larger enclosure and am playing with dimensions.
    Unfortunately, space limitations prevent me from going much wider than 10' at the longest, so I think to allow for the maximum floorspace for the creature I'll have to go 10'X8'. I'm factoring a slightly raised floor to allow for about 10" of substrate, with a 75gallon stock tank (which is about 2-3' deep) nested in the enclosure with filtration system... floor hieght (lower plywood portion as seen in pic) will vary based on what I come up with for a water/stock pond area... but you get the idea.
    This is fairly similar design to what my Alligator's habitat will be, with the exception of the size of the tank inside the enclosure (gator of course will have nearly 50% of the floorspace consisting of the pond, and at minimum 3' deep of water)

Attached Files:

kriminaal likes this.
  2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, it`s nice to see you in this thread too... ;)
    You will need around 24 inches of substrate if this is a female.
    If you`re talking about the metal cattle troughs, you can use those to hold the substrate, too.
    Any water used for "swimming" needs to be heated to between approx. 27 to 30c (approx. 80 to 85f), the reason being they may spend extended periods in there, sometimes even overnight.

kriminaal and uvreptilenh like this.
  3. uvreptilenh

Forgot to mention heater on the pond, doh! I would be using the plastic troughs - a little more attractive, don't rust when the galvanization gets worn down, and can drill holes for affixing the plumbing for filtration. (trying to clean out a 75gallon water tub by hand every couple days is NOT a project I want to add to my routine.)

kriminaal likes this.
  4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

For the pond, do yourself a favor and include a drain that you can hook a hose to and drain to outside or something. Monitors tend to drag a lot of their substrate into the water, and the easiest way to remove the mud from the bottom will be to drain the pond, scoop out as much as possible to be tossed back in the enclosure, and rinse the rest down the drain. And you won't want that draining into your regular plumbing.

arojas7112, kriminaal and uvreptilenh like this.
  5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

If you could have this ready by summer that would be great.
    I'll be driving through your area and can take a look. :)
    I love large enclosures.
    As Stefan said, you really need a deeper nesting area if it's a female.

uvreptilenh likes this.
  6. uvreptilenh

Hah, well come summer I'll also have some outdoor enclosures built as well! (I hope... sometimes my ideas are a little more ambitious than my time & budget allow.)

arojas7112 likes this.
  7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Typical girl then..... us guys are never that way.... nor do we ever overestimate our capabilities...

DragonSlayer and uvreptilenh like this.
  8. uvreptilenh

I call shenanigans!

arojas7112 likes this.
  9. DragonSlayer

DragonSlayer Established Member

No Never! As I am getting ready to dig up my concrete basement floor with a jackhammer this Sat. to put in a drain for the new room/enclosure. Getting a little nervous about doing this part. But I have family to call that knows what they are doing if things start going south on me :)

Darkbird and uvreptilenh like this.
  10. uvreptilenh

I've been slowly taking over my fiance's garage (Which is almost 900sq feet) It started out with just a few enclosures, then when I needed to ramp-up the intakes for the rescue he let me take over up to half the space, then I added the alligator pond, now I've filled the entire space except one 8'X8' corner that's reserved for working out... pretty sure I can take over that corner too for the new monitor cage since he hasn't exactly been making use of the space all winter.

11. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Wow I've heard of women taking over the bathroom. But this is extreme.

12. uvreptilenh

In contrast his closet is bigger than mine... and I'm the only one who uses the power tools.

arojas7112 and mshrmheadcharge like this.
  13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You`ve trained him very well, wish my girlfriends were like that... I`ve always thought construction, heavy lifting, smaller closets were for the woman... :)

arojas7112 likes this.
  14. DragonSlayer

15. DragonSlayer

Actual plumbing starts Sat.

uvreptilenh likes this.