This Disappears When Logged In

6 Foot Burmese Python in Need of Good Home!

Discussion in 'Adoptions' started by Loribeth, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loribeth

Loribeth Active Member

We were informed of a lady giving away a free 6 foot Burmese. Comes with the 25 gal tank heat rock and stand. this did not sound good to me. my hubby and i went to pick him up. and he is in this TINY cage (for him) hes curled up on one end. the bowl takes up the other end. he has no room to move or stretch. we rescued him in the attempt to find him a much better needed home. We have smaller reptiles and just not the capability for a HUGE baby like him. I am guessing he is about 2-3 years. he is very tame and gentle. We are in Georgia. If anyone knows anyone who can take him or can take him and give him a decent permanent home please let me know.
    We are in savannah, Ga area.

Thanks and take care.

Lori

this is exactly how we got him. i was so sad for him.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Good luck in adopting him out. That is a very tiny cage, and get rid of that heat rock!! They will cause burns.

3. DaVincisCode

DaVincisCode Member

I wish you the best, If I were nearer, or at least in the same country, I'd make the offer.

4. barnkat

barnkat Elite Member

You are doing the right thing for him. I would take him, but am in Michigan and not sure how I would get him here. Hopefully someone closer can take him. I know they ship snakes a lot, but don't know much about that as my rescues are all from Michigan and Ohio mostly. I did rescue 2 horses from West Virginia, but that involved horse transport that was returning empty from Florida so she was glad to bring them.

5. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

Glad to hear you're trying to help the little guy (well little for a burm). I agree with liz, ditch the heat rock, it'll only cost like $9 for a clamp clamp and a lightbulb.

6. Loribeth

Loribeth Active Member

Ok we ditched the heat rock, added a utility lamp, and we think we may have someone from a reptile education center interested. We will wait and see. We don't have the space or money to build him a suitable cage. So we're hoping he can go to that center. Poor baby. I just feel so bad for him. I posted a pic on the beginning post. Thanks for the encouragement.

7. schlegelbagel

Heck, even if you went out and got him a really big tote to be in temporarily. It would be bigger than that tiny thing. Is he tame? Can you let him out for a little exercise, like in the bathroom locked up?

8. Loribeth

Loribeth Active Member

Yeah it is tiny. He is so nice. Very friendly. He always perks up when I go in there and starts the tongue action. My hubby held him for a while last night and he was all sprawled out, hehe. I was thinking about putting him in our bathroom. I'll do that. Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ok, so yesterday, when we got him, hubby held him no problem. Tonight we just went in to see if we could let him out to stretch and he was hissing at us. Hubby said no way was he sticking his hand in. Any suggestions?

9. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

From the looks of the pictures he may be getting stressed out from being so "exposed"
    I'd try to give him something he can hide inside of, maybe a rubbermaid turned upside down with a hole, or even a cardboard box with a entrance hole cut in it.

As for the hissing, is it more a open mouth showing teeth hiss? Or, is it more of a air being expelled through a small space hiss?

10. Loribeth

Loribeth Active Member

His mouth is closed. We now have him in a rubbermaid tote now. A huge one for toy storage, haha. He seems happier. We lined it with newspaper, hubby threw on some leather gloves and put him in that way. Hopefully this guy from the education center gets someone to take him. We don't have the space or experience for him. I just got him in hopes of getting him a better life. I still feel so bad for him. And apparently he's been in that cage for some time. His whole life I assume.

11. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Wow, That was one nasty cage! Good for you for rescuing him, and good luck finding him a home! Look at the water, I wonder if they would have drank that, yuck! 6 foot snake in that cage, ridiculous!

Good luck!

12. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

I, too, hope you find a place for him.

He looks like he could make a great pet to someone who'd take care of him correctly. It's a shame people think it's okay to keep their pets that way.

13. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

If you haven't already, try to give him a hide in this as well. Even if it is just something as simple as a cardboard box. It should help make him feel more secure.

14. Loribeth

Loribeth Active Member

We took the lid to the rubbermaid, bent it in half, cut a hole in the side, and wedged it in there. I hope hope hope this guy gets a hold of me soon. I want him in a spacious home, not that tote, but I have nothing better. I just got him hoping we could do better for him. He said he would be placed by the end of the week. He seems better he's hiding now. He's got more room in the tote than in that cage. Poor guy.

15. fire2225ems

Don't feel so bad. You are obviously doing everything you can for him until a permanent home can be found. He is most likely much more comfortable now than he was, and it might in fact be a good thing to take small steps in getting him to a new enclosure. If he was used to very little space and then all of a sudden given a huge room, that might freak him out. So this is a great compromise for every factor involved. Hope you reptile guy can take him!

16. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

One more tip, I'd try to avoid using the gloves, Boas and Pythons can catch their teeth on them and rip them out, try a old (but clean) golfing putter instead to help move him.

17. Loribeth

Loribeth Active Member

Ohh ok. We have no experience with large snakes. So that was news for me. Even though I know nothing about them, I know he wasn't happy. So, that guy emailed me and said he put out to his foster adopters that there was one available. So maybe we should hear something. I wish I could find something sooner. Thanks for all the tips. You guys are great. And I will keep you posted. :)

18. Loribeth

Loribeth Active Member

We have found a home for him! He has other snakes and a 6 foot long enclosure, and 3 feet wide. Should be plenty for him. Thanks for all the support!

19. schlegelbagel

That's so great!

20. fire2225ems

Congrats!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.