This Disappears When Logged In

???

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by George03, Sep 19, 2015.

1. George03

George03 Member

Anyone knw bout how long before a boa is grown

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

More info would be good.

A boa from the egg is "Grown" a week after, and the week after that.

What definition of grown are you after? Be aware that the number of environmental factors affecting grown are staggering...

mshrmheadcharge likes this.
  3. George03

George03 Member

It's a coloumbian boa about a year male 3 ft long and my question is how many years until they are considered an adult

4. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

3 foot, not there yet, 1 year not there yet. Not being an ass but my personal opinion is that this boa is not done cooking yet.

Many will site a combination of length and weight to be considered adult, however that can be fudged by power feeding (making for an unhealthy balance). Personally I'd lean toward 3+ years and 6+' feet long and I don't recall what an avg weight that should be...

Not being a RTB enthusiast I don't have a tighter answer for you, sorry.

5. George03

George03 Member

Lol ya I'm very aware that he's no were near there yet

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, in many reptiles sexual maturity is to do with size not age, it often occurs when the animal is around 1/2 to 2/3rds adult size.
    Most caresheets just repeat each other, which means if a number of authors state that sexual maturity doesn`t happen until the animal is a certain age it becomes accepted as a fact, but that`s not necessarily so at all..
    In captivity where we can offer them supportive conditions 24/7 they can grow faster (reach sexual maturity) sooner than their wild counterparts (nothing to do with so called "power feeding").
    It would be nice if someone (anyone) could show the results of studies done in the wild and captivity that state sexual maturity is dependent specifically on the animal`s age?

DwarvenChef likes this.
  7. aztec4mia

aztec4mia Elite Member

You could probably be more clear on what your intentions are, do you want to know what a good breeding size is?, do you just want to know when he is considered an adult?(you can pick a weight or age and run with it) you are not going to get a definitive answer either way. I believe a animal is considered an adult when they can breed, and that leads you back down the path of what is considered a healthy age or weight to breed.

8. aztec4mia

aztec4mia Elite Member

Books and care sheets are meant to be guidelines that new hobbyists can start with and then build on as they gain experience. Ages comes in because info that was gathered through the keepers experiences with a certain feeding schedule, and on average a certain snake would be a a safe weight for breeding by x amount of years, thus providing a general guideline for a new breeder to go off of, it was never meant to be the one and only answer. I do think weight is important if you want to breed young animals but age also has it's place with the animal maturing and knowing it's own body and what it can handle. Example: I had a 5 year old BP that was not of "breeding weight" who was a regular feeder, I bred her got 5 healthy babies..............(Warning Rant Coming)

The issue is that a lot of new hobbyists don't want to think for themselves anymore or don't trust themselves, they want to read it online and have all the answers and have everything work perfect. With husbandry, people want to take advice on set ups from someone in Florida when they live in Minnesota and wonder why its not working, instead of using the advice and applying what works for them in their own area. Nothing in this hobby is cookie cutter.

Morphine and TamJam like this.