This Disappears When Logged In

55 Gal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Buggy0123, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

I need more ideas.. what's new :p :)

I have a 55 gallon aquarium that I was planning on putting a few needle nose gars in but no one within an hour or two of me carries them and I'm not to trustworthy of the people who ship fish. I've been debating on getting an oscar or angel fish or discus, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas, I'm up for anything. Reptiles, fish, amphibians.

2. Ella Maxwell

Ella Maxwell Well-Known Member

Leopard geckos go well in fish tanks as long as you provide a heat mat for them :)

3. Ella Maxwell

Mines only in a 10 gal viv so that's more than enough space, the only problem would be if they get stressed and stray away from the best source.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, why is a 10 gallon fishtank "more than enough space", surely they would use more than that in the wild?

5. Ella Maxwell

Because as babies, they can become stressed and confused in big environments, therefore straying away from their heat source. A tank that is too big for a leopard gecko in captivity is not beneficial, in the wild most places would be naturally heated, so the lizard would not be able to stray away from their sources of heat. A 10 gal tank is perfectly okay for a leopard gecko, the only time when a bigger tank is 'needed' is when you are housing more than one gecko in the same tank.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

No, that`s complete nonsense, they`ve evolved over millions of years to live (thrive) in HUGE spaces.
    Just because many keepers house them in TINY spaces declaring it`s all they need or can cope with is more about the keeper than the kept (caresheet logic gone mad)!! ;)

7. Ella Maxwell

Okay, thank you for correcting the false information I was fed, in that case I will be upgrading to a 20 gal, hopefully she'll like it :). After a vets visit of course :).

8. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Don't feel bad, a lot of the info out there is utter garbage, some of the things I see touted as fact leave me dumbfounded. And yes, generally a 20 is good for a leo. Lizards don't just pick a spot and stay there, they are out actively hunting for food. And even a hatchling will quickly learn where the heat is and go to it when it wants it.

9. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

So.. Any ideas for the tank? :p

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Well first off, discus are a difficult fish to keep. Very touchy. And an Oscar can get 18 inches long!
    A group of angels in a heavily planted tank is nice.
    As for reptiles. I keep my ball python in a 55 gallon tank. A group of dart frogs also in a natural type aquarium would also be attractive.

11. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Not big on 55s for reptiles, though most common colubrids and some other types of snakes will do fine in that space. Smaller lizards like leos, or maybe a colony of anoles. Larger lizards like beardies or blue tongue skinks will not have enough floor area. For fish, mixed tropicals or maybe some African cichlids.

12. Beardie Lover

Beardie Lover New Member

I want a beardie and Places say a 40 gal will do. Is that true, or would it be cruel to do that?

13. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

It would do for a bit if set up properly, but you'll need something larger eventually. Minimum footprint for a beardie of 4'x2', and usually 18"-24" tall.