This Disappears When Logged In

4X4X2 Reptile Enclosure

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by jdandlucy, Jan 6, 2013.

1. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

2. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

it allows me to view it.

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

That looks like a very nice set up!

4. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

I still need to find a couple nice size branches for the enclosure, and add more substrate.

5. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

Definitely a little bland and dull at this point. Add some hanging vines on the back and sides with more greenery and it will liven right up.

6. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

wow i dont mind constructive criticism but that came off insulting.

7. norwegn113

norwegn113 Well-Known Member

Wow, alittle rude! I would love to see what you have, it must be amazing? Shmmm. Jd, dont sweat other people. I think you did an amazing job and that is coming from someone that builds cages for a living. Good job

8. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

My intention was not at all to come off as rude. The enclosure itself looks great and you've only just started. I was only trying to suggest that you could spice it up a little so that it was more aesthetically pleasing for you. It's good now but you will like it better when you add to it I think. The main thing that I was trying to point out was the higher parts of the walls being empty so far. I cannot stress it enough that I really did not mean to insult you at all.

Good luck,
    Adam

9. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

the plants that are in their are live and very young. i have added some begonias that i can train to cover the walls. next is a custom pond to go in the front right corner. then several large branches and some baby leaf ivy. the pic and vid i posted was the moment i introduced my ball to his new home. i dont want to go over board with his decor right from the start. **** he has lived in a 20 gallon tank for 7 years. all he had was a water bowl a cork round that he didnt fit when i got him and aspen shavings.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I hadn't noticed that the plants were live.
    You have a problem. The plants you are using are crotons. They require quite high light intensity to thrive. They are also toxic.

11. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

only info i can find is that crotons are toxic to humans. no info found about snakes. if you have some info on plants that are safe for snakes please post a link.

12. Merlin

They are toxic if eaten. I realize that the likelihood of the snake consuming any of it is minute. I just tend to stay on the safe side. Live plants with Ball pythons are a headache. While small its not so much but as they put on size the snake will destroy them.
    However if you are set on live plants Ficus, Pothos and bromeliads are widely used in vivs.

13. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

ty for the info. i already know what you mean by the head ache. i have already had to remove all the plants and pot them in baskets to help prevent him from knocking them down. i have a few house plants i can take cuttings from already and have them grow in the enclosure like pothos, wandering jew and a violet. i have 3 rooted cutting of a begonia in the enclosure now. but is very slow growing.

14. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

DSCF0006.jpg all plants except the palm and philodendron have been removed. it became to much hastle for young plants.

15. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

This is not the humidifier i wanted to use to begin with but it works very well[video=youtube;jxHih1NX9X0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxHih1NX9X0[/video]

16. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

[video=youtube;IzNrEAOXkTk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzNrEAOXkTk[/video]

17. chawk

chawk Banned User

the humidifer looks good jd

18. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

it does the job it needs to do ty. although this humidifier is taller than i will be able to house on top of the enclosure when the next one is done. i could not pass it up. the ease of modifying it to work was a snap. it is a safty 1st from walmart. it is in the baby section. $29.00. i had all the fittings and tube in my project box so no added expense for that.

19. Merlin

Looks good. As long as the opening is such that they snake can't get into it.

20. chawk

chawk Banned User

did you take some pics on how to build??