This Disappears When Logged In

40 Gal Breeder

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JonesFred1987, Jul 31, 2016.

1. JonesFred1987

JonesFred1987 New Member

I found a 40 gal breeder at a garage sale for a great price, so I bought it without hesitation. The dimensions are 36 inch length, 18 inch width, and 16 inch tall. I bought it on a whim so I had no prior ideas to what to put in it. I have a crestie and a leopard gecko and I want to broaden my horizons. What other type of lizards/geckos/fish could comfortably live in here through there whole lives? I also read some things about putting the cage up on its side, so its much taller for certain geckos; opinions? It has no lid so if I were to do that buying a screen lid that opens on hinges is a good possibility. Any help would be nice, thanks.

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

On my tanks I went with a split screen tops. Not knowing what your 40b tank was originally designed for makes it difficult to suggest fish. A reptile 40b tank uses thin glass because it doesn't need to deal with the pressure of all that water. Also the different builds had a different rim build, fish tanks just had a level to hold a glass lid, Herp build has a slotted rim so you can slid in a screen top.

An upright herp build with a split screen can be handy but may end up leaking a lot depending on how you set up your tank.

3. Garters45

Garters45 Well-Known Member

I use screen tops as well. Easy to remove but difficult for an animal to escape from. For a forty gal, I'd suggest a few leopard geckos or a nice garter snake, but I'm impartial to both. Neither need an upright tank.