This Disappears When Logged In

40 Gal. Aqua\terrarium

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by ReptiObssesed00, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Ok- I have a 40 gal. Fully functioning aquarium... The fish residents are being moved and I have this large beauty! I personally would like a tortoise but I am not sure as to what they eat(just pellets right?).. Or I would love a like half aquarium/terrarium.. Maybe an aquarium under with a hole leading up as a water bowl.. I definitely want something holdable with a simple diet.. Pellets or crickets.. I've had geckos and want a little larger of a lizard! Suggestions pleeeaassee!

2. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

In the categories you're limiting yourself too there's not much. Tiger salamanders, newts and varrious types of toads and frogs would love a rainforesty half water/land set up-Simple diet of crickets and various bugs but you can't really hold them.

3. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Also I'm not sure but I dont think many tortise can live in small glass enclosures-for a extended period of time at least. And have a more complete diet then just pellets.

4. Ok well any tropical forestry lizards that can be handled..

5. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Red eyed crocodile skinks are a visually apealing lizards. I don't know much about them but I don't think they get too big-and like a little cooler temps. When you finally pick a lizard or other herp-make sure you ask plent of questions, do some research and see if you can provide everything the animal needs for the rest of its life.

You said youve had geckos, have you had crested geckos? They are VERY easy upkeep and tolerant of handling.

6. I like lizards with that more tortoisey short head!

7. Wifi

Wifi Active Member

You mean like a Uromastyx?

8. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Though I wouldn't say those have a simple "pellet or crickets" diet lol

9. Wifi

Wifi Active Member

I definitely know that, they just seem to be the only lizards I can picture with a "tortoise-like" face. Maybe Repti was thinking of those but knows nothing about their care? I dunno o_O

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Tortoises for the most part eat veggies and grass. They wouldn't be able to live long in a 40g aquarium. There are some really small tortoises but they are really active so need a large custom enclosure. Also it isn't good to hold them and its hard to get the majority of them used to people. For example my 2 yearling sulcatas are still stressed by people and will pee if you hold them (this dehydrates them and is dangerous).
    Also for environments babies usually need a high humidity very small water dish.

Other options: some skinks (Tropidophorus assamensis) I believe are semi aquatic, also there are some anoles (anolis vermiculatis), or the prettiest is the Chinese croc lizard (shinisaurus crocidilious?).
    The Chinese croc has the turtle like face but they are rare so the price is $450 for juveniles.

11. I know plenty about Uros I just want to try a more moist lizard species..

12. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

LOL moist lizard species

13. Beautiful lizards btw