This Disappears When Logged In

32qt Sterilite Melani Rack 8 Slots

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by Sav, May 4, 2013.

1. Sav

Sav Elite Member

Hi I just finished my 41 qt rack and a 32/15qt rack. Now I'm working on a 32qt solid melamine rack and adding 4" heat tape. I was wondering if its not going to get used right away how much could I sell it for? The last 2 racks I made turned out really nice so I thought mabe I could build and sell them as a side project but was wondering what kind of profit was in it. Like I said it will have belly heat, solid back and sides, plenty of room for tubs with no rubbing, and all trimmed with the melamine ends. Won't have pics until its done but what would you pay for something like that. It cost about $150 to build thanks

2. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

I'd say, it's hard to tell. It depends on your location, how you plan on selling them, your competition (at a show or something), all kinds of stuff. There's a lot of variables. Maybe look on Google, see what top end and bottom end racks go for, then decide what yours are worth. Check features, size, capacity, finished look, all that. Just spend a couple hours looking around. You may find out its not worth your time. Especially if you consider paying for a space at a show, transportation and set up time, and if you sell none will it be a huge hit on your pocket book. Can you afford to invest money building enclosures that people may or may not buy? Would you be willing to drop your price and maybe get paid squat for labor just to unload them? A lot of things to consider. I know this, because I've been considering the same thing. Haha. And for me, I think I'll just stick to building nice enclosures for myself. Also, if something fails, or breaks, you don't have someone else's lost or dead pets on your conscience, or someone upset because they just paid for something that they now believe is unsatisfactory. It's a tough road, in my opinion.

Not trying to smoke your dreams. Just giving you things to consider.

3. Sav

Sav Elite Member

image.jpg
    Like something like this for example only this one is for personal use the one I plan to sell would have solid melamine sides

4. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

I live in an extremely popupulated area, and can only answer your question based on my experience. I buy and sell in the PA, NJ, and NY market. People who are in the market for racks will generally build there own. You can go buy plastic shelving at HD, drop a few heat matts on them, and put some tubs on. In my experience, hobbiests do not want to pay for basic racks to make it worth your while. Also, if you stalk craigslist, you will come accross a few. The racks i have been asked to make (for $) have all been from established breeders, or for an innovative rack design i tried to peddle. Good luck tho! I have found they are easier to trade then sell.

5. Sav

Sav Elite Member

Yea I'm actually from Philly not a whole lot of breeders or hobbyist in the area. I mean there's a few but not a lot. But what the **** Ill give it a shot if I don't sell it ill have another rack or like you said mabe I can trade it for a new bp morph I'm in the market for a lesser or pinstripe female to add to my bumble bee project

6. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Me too, if you find a good breeder that has some good lessers or pins, please pm me and let me know. I'm in philly often enough (or too often) for work.

7. Sav

Sav Elite Member

Yea I def will