This Disappears When Logged In

30 Day Challenge

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jay1718, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

Weird title, I know. This isn't directed at any one directly. I am in no way an animal expert, I love them, I read about them, I observe them in the wild. I put a lot of thought into family pets. Enclosure size, feeding requirements, temperature, Vet cost, and how much cleaning is involved. Every now in then, well a lot lol, I think to myself "I sure would like a (what ever animal I'm thinking about)"
    Then I really think about it, then read about it, and by the time I have done all the research, I have talked myself out of even getting it. I don't think this is a flaw, but better judgment. I commend people that keep up with their animals. I take the best care I can with all of my pets down to my daughters Betta fish.
    I can't stand to go into a pet store and seeing someone buying an animal, that they clearly know nothing about. I have even heard workers at the stores telling customers, "they will only grow to the size of the environment" which we all know is a bunch of crap. A lot of the pet industry is just sad to begin with.
    Everyone makes impulse buys, but I would not go buy a monitor or an alligator because I thought they were cute. I only used those examples because I watched as a lady bought both at a flea market a few months ago. By the way the gator was illegal. She might be an awesome herp keeper for all I know, but I doubt it.
    I have took in far to many animals, because of people make impulse buys. And have seen a lot of animals die, because of poor living conditions, simply because someone didn't care enough to read up on them. Or take them to vet. Another thing I look when thinking of buying an exotic animal, I call my vets office to see if they even see that type.
    Back to the 30 day challenge, I'm sure you have heard of this before, but this what I do.
    If I am going to make a big purchase, car, truck, boat, the responsibility of an animals well being, I do all the reading I can. I ask questions. I find out everything I need to know, and then I think it over. I think about when I have worked 12 hrs but it is time to clean the snake cage. I think about it when it is raining and the dogs and cats need to be fed outside. I think about it when I'm running late but the rabbit needs to be fed and watered. I think about when I'm going on vacation and I need someone to house sit. See none of those things are optional, they have to be done. I think about all of that before I decide to take on responsibility of an animals life. And after a lot of reading and a lot of thinking how to work it into my schedule, if I feel confident I can provide the best care I can, I will purchase the entire set up for the animal, and play with the temps until I know it's right, then I will purchase the animal itself.
    Wow that was long, I wasn't directing this rant at anyone, hope I didn't scuff any feelings. I'm not perfect, and I have had to get advice, actually a lot of advice, but I'm not too proud to ask.
    Hope everyone has a nice day

2. to hide this ad.
  3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If more people had your attitude it would make things so much simpler!

Darkbird, Qwerty3159 and Jay1718 like this.
  4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Everyone makes impulse buys at one time or another. Unfortunately the majority of these people are just entering the hobby and the impulse buy ends up dead.
    What you're doing is something we preach and preach and preach hoping someone comes along and takes the advice.
    It definitely doesn't help when the stores are lying out both ends to make sales. I mean it kind of makes sense to ask the store employees about advice when you look at what they have and say I'll take that one"

It's a hobby where owners learn by mistakes and when the reptiles are inexpensive, then they are expendable.

Jay1718 likes this.
  5. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

I know everyone makes mistakes, just wish more people made informed decisions about their pets. And actually research the animals care. I wouldn't go buy an animal knowing I couldn't care for it properly, I would think most people would feel the same.