This Disappears When Logged In

30-40 Gal Tank with No Herp Inside!

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by annarawrr, Jan 11, 2012.

1. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

35Gal Tank with No Herp Inside!

Hey guys,
    A couple months ago I purchased an old aquarium complete with a wooden lid for my water snake, but it cracked at the bottom and flooded my apartment. It's currently just sitting in my living room and I'm not sure whether to throw it away or keep it. On one hand I spent a lot of money on it but on the other hand it's old and the glass has some watermarks on it I can't remove.

What kind of herp(s) could I keep in this tank? I'm not sure if I WILL get another herp but if I did, what could I get that doesn't need a very wet home and that could live its whole life in a tank this size? If I put some plastic on the bottom it could hold damp substrate but not a pool of water if that makes sense. I'm thinking of a snake of sorts, MAYBE a lizard but I wouldn't mind venturing into the frog, toad and bug world too. Something not mega pricey though because I'd need to get lighting and heating too!

I've read that the ideal snake tank should have a combined length and depth as long as or longer than the snake itself. If this is true then what kind of snake can I get that grows to 4.5 ft and below? I'd like a fairly bulky snake so whip snakes and the sort are not really what I'm looking for.

2. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

Snake wise you could get a blood python! I might be wrong, but I know they don't get that big. I think I've read a female can get up to 5 feet and the males are smaller.

3. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

I'm looking them up right now! This one guy says they can get pretty mean. But they're nice fat snakes and they're from Malaysia just like me and my water snake! I'll do some research and see what they're like!

4. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

I know I said I wanted a small snake lol but I've been thinking of getting a rear fanged, maybe a boiga dendrophila melatona. The 30 gal is not gonna hold an adult boiga but should hold a baby one to a sub adult about 5ft in length. I currently have an enhydris plumbea which is also rear fanged so I am familiar with their temperament, husbandry needs and feeding. Still accepting suggestions though!

5. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

I've been thinking about getting a tokay gecko, so that is what I would suggest. :) They are pretty feisty though so most people keep them as a look-don't-touch animal.

6. Yayoushiko

Yayoushiko Member

I heard that Sand Python's only grow to 3 feet long.Not 100 % sure on that though ;D

7. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Yeah, I read that they're feisty! I don't think I know any good pet stores or breeders here though. I'll look up the tokays and see if I'd like to have one! Here they're called tokeks lol I don't know why I find that word so entertaining!

8. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Tokays are super expensive here!!! How much do they cost where you live cos owners are asking for 800-1000 ringgit per gecko! (that's 200-250 USD but the value of spending 1000 ringgit here is about the same as spending 500 USD or more if that makes sense)

9. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Sand pythons are so cute!!! Sigh pythons and boas are so pricey here though. One of the cheapest would be the retic because you can get them in the wild but they're huge and aggressive, and repeat strikers too! No thanks! I love a challenge but being bitten half a dozen times in 10 seconds is just not my cup of tea! XD

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That tank would not be big enough for a blood python. Most adult females measure 50"-66" in total length, most adult males measure 40"-56" in total length. Older females occasionally attain 72" in total length. But they also are quite heavy bodied some reaching 40-45 lbs!
    That size of an enclosure would be suitable for a ball python for a heavy bodied snake. And while heating will be necessary they require no special lighting.

11. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

I love me a Ball :) cant wait till i have room for one!

12. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Because of where you live I would say that a sand boa wouldn't be good, or any desert type of reptile for that matter.

I think a tokay sounds great, chameleons like screen enclosures (not sure what yours is)
    also what about Gonocephalus grandis (Great Angle Head), they look pretty cool, a neon tree dragon, a flying gecko.

13. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

I was checking out some flying geckos, they're pretty cool! It's an aquarium so it's glass on all sides with a removable wooden lid. Chams are also hard to come by here. But that's too bad about the blood python, they sound like my dream snake! Not too long but nice and fat so I don't have too worry about squishing them!

14. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

I may be biased, but a nice colourful garter snake would be forever comfortable in there.

[​IMG]

15. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Holy cow! I had no idea tokays could be so expensive! Here I've seen them for $15 usd.

16. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

Ah! My research proved me wrong! Where did you find this info?

17. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

In the caresheet on this site;

18. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

-gasp- I didn't know we had a blood care sheet on this site! -runs off to read-

19. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

I love garter snakes! I think that's a great choice. They're not easy to find here though so I'll keep looking.

And yeah, I had no idea tokays could get so expensive! Maybe the ones I saw were a special breed or the owner did a typo or something but I'm not planning on spending more than a couple hundred on the herp itself! The strange thing is it wasn't just one owner, it was a lot of owners/breeders asking for a thousand ringgit. No idea what's going on there.

20. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

The site i rhink im gonna get my Tokay is $20