This Disappears When Logged In

3 RES Issues

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Lollipopgecko, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Lollipopgecko

Lollipopgecko Well-Known Member

It's been a while since I've been here...well, hello. I have three problems with my male RES (well, one is just a question). He is about 10 inches long and lives alone in a 75 gallon aquarium with an Aquatop CF500 UV filter and two Aqueon QuietFlow 50 filters.

1. He has somehow inherited a leech on his chin. How do I get rid of it?
    2. He is too big for his basking dock. It wobbles around and sinks slightly when he gets onto it. Any tips on making a larger, sturdier DIY basking area?
    3. What kinds of fish/plants/invertebrates could I keep with him? He is quite voracious and has demolished plants, devoured schools of fish, and made giants messes out of large crayfish. Are there any especially turtle-resistant species?

Thanks to anyone who replies. :)

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

3. Lollipopgecko

Thanks! I would imagine it to be hard to get the salt onto the leech without the turtle trying to retreat his head into his shell. any way to make this easier?

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

turn your turtle on his back. He will stick out his neck to try and roll himself over.

5. Lollipopgecko

Okay, thanks.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And just wet a q-tip and dip it in the salt to apply it.

7. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Looks like we've got the leech covered.

What I always did with my turtles before turtle docks became common was to use a milk crate turned on its side. I don't think a standard milk crate will fit in a 75G that way since I think they might be over 18" wide, but I'm talking about the ones you'll find at Walmart etc that come in different colors for storage. I'd fill the tank to maybe an inch or 2 over the crate so the turtle(s) could get on easily and then put a few nice flat rocks on top for a basking site. Not the prettiest/most natural solution, but functional, and with the crate on its side the turtle has swimming space underneath.

For tankmates you could try convicts. I kept cons in my turtle tanks and I don't recall any being eaten. It helps to give them some rockwork/wood/structure to help them avoid the turtle.

8. purplecandle

purplecandle Active Member

This is brilliant! Thanks! My dollar store has different sizes.

9. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

^^^ That's exactly the ones I mean.

You can also shelter the heater if you're using one between the crate and the side of the tank so the turtles can't mess with it. I've never had a turtle actually break a heater, but I could see it happening. And them banging it around and messing with the thermostat setting is a bigger possibility.

10. purplecandle

purplecandle Active Member

My turtle is having great fun with the heater..pulling it down..sitting on it..and he did turn it up once which is hard to do. It's my fault though. I'm still trying to figure how to aquascape for a turtle. I'm so used to fish ignoring the heaters LOL.

I can't wait to try the dollar store crates. It will be interesting to see if I can make something functional and if possible..pretty to look at.

11. Lollipopgecko

I might try that. Thanks!