This Disappears When Logged In

2nd One in 2 Weeks

Discussion in 'General Venomous' started by chevyzilla, Jun 4, 2010.

1. chevyzilla

chevyzilla Well-Known Member

Check out what was in the yard today. This is the second one in 2 weeks. This bad boy was 32" long and very fiesty. There is even still a piece of stick or something in his mouth. I was about 10 mins from leaving for work so i used my snake stick to get him under control and had to walk thru the house to get the camera with him in hand so these pics were just a minute or two after catching him. I got a nice close up of the head. Is it any wonder where the Copperhead gets its name. Look at the belly shot, looks like he had just fed. I was out looking for snakes and didn't even know he was there. I reached down to lift a rock and realized i was straddling him. If you have never handled a Copperhead they are pretty strong for their size. Any one else have much exp with Coppers.

Attached Files:

2. MMWC

MMWC Elite Member

Nice find, cool pics. I have no experience with coppers but I really love their colours. Its true that its no geuss where they get their name. Nice creatures.

3. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

You are a brave soul, grabbing that thing by the head.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Great pics, you`re very lucky being able to see these animals in the backyard!!

5. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Very pretty snake!! I love these creatures. You don't see them very often around here. Wish there were more though. You could send some my way if you ever got tired of seeing them.lol

6. snubber

snubber Elite Member

That's a big copperhead i came across one that size a few weeks ago while fishing in what waters are still open around my house. The oil spill in the gulf has a big impact down here in southeast Louisiana.

7. chevyzilla

I trully hate what is going on down there. The wild life and enviromental impact is apauling and i hope B.P. has to pay for a long time.

8. chevyzilla

I am quite sure my wife would love it if i sent them all to you. They really do have an unmistakeable pattern. You would be amazed at how many snakes are identified as copperheads by most people up here. I know quite a bit about snakes and can usually identify them right away but i bet if i showed a picture of the Nice Northern Water that has taken up in my property to 10 individuals 7 of them would say copperhead. To me, and i know it is because i know them it is simple to tell the difference. Just goes to show that education is crutial and i wish people understood snakes better. I think they got a bad name from the beginning with the whole Satan thing but the bible says the serpent will be in heaven as well so it has nothing to do with the creature. By the way is there another species of animal that has the diversity of colors and types than the snake. I think not. What an awesome creation.

9. chevyzilla

Thanks, i have a pic of the baby Timber Rattler on my photos page that i handled as well. I will post pics of mom when i find her this year. As long as the ultimate respect is used and you trully give the snake a sense he is ok and keep your head about you its not that bad but i have handled venomous snakes often so i feel comfortable which is key. As advice in case you are considering,,, be confident and comfortable with venomous snakes before attempting these things and you will gain a true respect and new admiration for the species. Handling venomous snakes for most people on this site is probably nothing either and i am not special but i bet they echo the same sentiment. Happy snake hunting.

10. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

David, you are absolutely right about the respect issue! I have handled copperheads years ago when I was a total idiot teenager. I am surprised I did not get bitten, but God looks after fools and drunks ( I never handled snakes when I was drunk then, nor do I drink now) so I was really foolish. Now that I am a more experienced handler, I am much more careful and respectful of the snake. I am also trying to teach my 3 year old son about venomous snakes and how if he sees a snake in the yard or in the wild, he should NEVER touch it and he should always come to me to move it out of the way so he does not accidentally get bitten. I figure, if he is going to grow up around snakes, he should be able to identify the ones that can cause him harm or death.

I am so glad that you shared your amazingly beautiful catch with us and I am looking forward to seeing many, many more photos in the future.

11. April

April Active Member

I have seen them from time to time in the wild. We go to a camping spot on Fort Benning and we collect wood for the fire pit and seen a few here and there along with some rattle snakes. However I would never attempt to catch one or get any closer than where we were when we found it!! I love snakes, but some people just are not experienced enough nor wanting to be that experienced to try and capture one of the beautiful snakes.

12. Max713

Max713 Elite Member

I love handling wild hots, western diamonds are fairly abundant in Central Oregon, always an adrenaline rush.
    Great pics, looks like a good time :)

13. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

I hear ya on the dumb teenager thing, I used to catch copperheads all the time, they were all over the place where I grew up, very lucky not to get bitten. On the size note, I wonder if they do not get as big down south, Ive seen many a Four footer in pa. Very beautiful snakes for sure.

14. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

I am willing to give up all my copper heads around my house. I live on top of a hill with 2 creeks, 6 ponds, and a 10 acre lake surrounding my house. Every time I go out, I will see at least one scarlet snake, copperhead, rat snake, and banded water snake. On rare occasions, I see timbers, cotton mouths, and (my favorite) scarlet king snakes.

Anyone want to trade places so I can stop worrying about my god daughter and dogs being bit? lol

15. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I would hate to have to worry about that all the time. We only have garter snakes which are not a problem our biggest worry is black flies and mosquitoes!

16. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

Michele, I love living where I do, but I will gladly give up the venomous snakes. ;)

17. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

Hey I just wanted to let ya know bp is not the ones responsible for that rig, they took resposniblity because the do care about the enviroment and wildlife, that rig was just one that was contracted out. I've seen two bp employes get fired for killing a venomus snake in there texas city refinery,

My source,
    Contractor security officer at bp texas city