This Disappears When Logged In

24x12x24 Tank Okay For Crested Gecko?

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus' started by tastyboots, Mar 31, 2017.

1. tastyboots

tastyboots New Member

I'm planning on getting a crested gecko at an upcoming reptile show in my area, but I'm worried about the tank I have. It's my parents' old 24x12x24 fish tank that they're giving me for free, but the odd dimensions have me worried that it might be too big for a young crestie, and too small for an adult.

Any thoughts and advice appreciated; this will be my first reptile.

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The height and width are great but the depth is a bit undersized for an adult. This is, of course, my opinion. I think a baby would do fine in there. I try to remind everyone that these animals are born in the wild and survive. With that in mind, the wild is far larger than your little 29 gallon fish tank. ;) Just ensure that it has adequate hiding spots and that food and water are easily found.

3. tastyboots

tastyboots New Member

Thank you!

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I think the footprint is actually the 24x12, never seen a fish tank with a 24x24 base. If so that should be plenty tall enough for a crestie.

5. Sebastian Baird

Sebastian Baird New Member

It should be fine for adult or juvinals alike i would use paper towels to monitor there food intake or if their even eating. Then switch to what you want to use later, also depending where you live your going to have to make sure the towels are damp and keeping up the humidity. If you live somewhere like florida like me then you wont have to worry about to low of a humidity but your gonna need a sham wow for Irma.