This Disappears When Logged In

1st Neonate Feeding Question

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by Releep, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Releep

Releep Elite Member

Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find any answers using the search.

I have a bunch of baby common boa's that were born 7-4-13 and most have shed, what is the best way to get them to start eating?

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

If you want them to eat frozen thawed then start with them. I have 2 babies that were started on frozen thawed. Its awesome. I thaw at room temperature then heat with a blow dryer for a few seconds. Try rat pups first.

3. Releep

Releep Elite Member

So far they have refused f/t, But they don't seem to really be loosing weight yet. This is my first clutch so I'm still a noob lol.

4. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

You could try live rat pups. I would. If that doesn't work then you can start thinking about assist feed (not force feed). That's not for another few weeks though.

5. Releep

Releep Elite Member

How long after the first shed should I start to worry about them feeding? The 16th is when the first one shed and so far she has refused to eat. I was told by a couple of local breeders that they usually eat f/t just after they shed and they don't have much of a problem with getting them to eat.

6. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Some babies are tricky. I would just keep trying every 4 days or so. Try a live feeder. It may work. Maybe a breeder like wyldrose can give some feedback or something.

7. Releep

Releep Elite Member

I'll keep trying every few days. None of them have defecated yet but some have dropped urates I'm not sure if that matters.

8. medusa1974

medusa1974 Well-Known Member

I know it sounds gross but if they won't eat try braining a rat pup. Get a fresh live rat pup take a razor and cut there skull cap open, just about any snake will go nuts for that.

9. Releep

Releep Elite Member

I'll have to remember the braining trick. First I'm going to try feeding live to see if that will trigger their feeding.

What would be a real good way to scent a fuzzy mouse to smell like a rat? I think that the babies are a little small for pinkie rats.

10. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Don't worry about scenting it. They should take it. But you would just rub it on the live rat.