This Disappears When Logged In

1st C.W.D. Project Reloaded - Very image HEAVY

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by meki, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meki

meki Elite Member

Bigger what? Enclosure? lol it's already 6'. I guess I will have to rent a bigger apartment! ;)

Or do you mean deeper swimming area?

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Haha. Yeah I meant swimming area. :D

3. The JD

The JD Elite Member

I believe the bare min. on water depth is they must be able to submerge half their body. This is usually the position my WD takes in his water to take a dump. Although, I'd imagine they are much happier with deeper water. My WD likes to take a dive and head in water when he gets spooked and just pokes his head out.

4. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Yup. They're swimmers. They love the water and will spend as much time in there as is comfortable for them. The larger pool you've got, the more you will see them in it. Give them as much water as you possibly can. Trust me, they'll love it. So will you. They are so cool to watch in the water. So will we, actually, because then you can take pictures and post them. :)

They climb and swim. They're so funny.

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I have seen clips of them swimming in the wild. Really neat.

6. meki

meki Elite Member

Cool!
    Thanks for the replies, I will make the swimming area deeper after I am done with the digbox!

7. meki

meki Elite Member

Sweet!

Just wanted to let you know that I have finally received 2x Megaray 100s and and 60 watt heat projector!!!
    Though it took about a month to receive them my chinese water dragon certainly looks much happier!!!

8. kriminaal

That's great. I'm sure in his own way he's thanking you.;) I know how sometimes getting stuff across the border is a real pain.

9. meki

meki Elite Member

Hey,

I was wondering if anybody could help me with this one!
    Since I got megarays, it gets pretty bright in the room and I know that I shouldnt really be exposed too much to uv light. So here is the question where can I get a lampshade preferably metal that would attach to the standard ceramic light socket that is sold in home depot?

I really appreciate your help.

10. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I think that as long as you aren't right underneath of the fixture for hours on end, you should be fine. Most of the lamps that produce UVB have to be within a foot or two of the animal for it to reach the animal. And the UVB produced by bulbs is MUCH diluted from what you would receive from the sun. You shouldn't have to worry about it.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Besides if you have glass or plexi walls the UVB can't get thru. Just don't sit and stare at the bulb!
    I don't know of any domes made for the keyless ceramic outlets that you used. However you could fabricate something with thin sheetmetal.
    To attach it to the roof you could use something like I did for the Ceramic Heat Emitter cage in my boa cage. [​IMG] The chrome ring is the decorative ring for a stove top burner. Got it at Home Depot.
    (those people really should give us a commission forall the advertising we do for them!);)

12. meki

meki Elite Member

ooo this is EXACTLY what I need!!!
    Could you describe the steps how you created the this shape out of sheetmetal?
    I have an Idea how to make it round but how did you do the bottom part?

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

For the cylinder part I cut a length of 1/4 inch hardware cloth approximately 2 inches longer than I would need. Rolling it up double thickness (for strength) and put it inside the ring to make sure it would fit. Using fishing line I tied it on either end and in the middle to hold the wire cylinder in place while I laced it. I used galvanized wire (22gauge) and starting at one end wrapped it in and out of the wire squares securing the outer end of the hardware cloth. I originally had planned to run a bead of silicone along the exposed cut edge of the screen but I found this unnecessary and that by doing this very tightly not only did it make the cylinder quite strong it also covered the exposed edge of the cut hardware cloth leaving a nice smooth surface with nothing for the snake to cut itself on. I ran my hand along it several times to make sure! After the wire was in place I cut and removed the fishing line anchors.
    For the bottom section I measured out a circle of single thickness wire 1.5 inches larger in diameter than I needed to fit the circle and marked the inside diameter of the circle. then going around the circle at intervals I cut a wedge out of the ring of screen that was outside the circle that I needed intact. I started by dividing it into quarters and then eighths going down till I got sections that I could fold up 90 degrees and that would allow me to insert it into the cylinder. Using the same technique as before I laced the wire around base of the cylinder and attached the bottom.
    One note/ Since the sizes of the 2 sections is not going to be precise you need to make very certain that you mark at least 4 equal divisions on both the cylnder and the inserted circle and secure them to start with or you will get to the end and have a gap.
    I used the same wedge cut out technique on the top of the cylinder folded over under the ring to secure it.
    I hope I have explained this ok and didn't confuse you too much!

14. meki

meki Elite Member

Thanks Merlin I will use your approach and make similar shades/protectors.

15. meki

meki Elite Member

Here is a quick update to my pool part.
    I wanted to make it deeper so my chinese water dragon can swim properly and add a proper filter.

This is what I did.
    I used smaller tubes at the bottom under the mesh so the pool is deeper.

[​IMG]

I also attached the fluval water filter. Passed the plumbing through the PVC pieces.

So now water is taken from under the mesh and poured back on the top this way the filtering is efficient and completely quiet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fluval 204
    [​IMG]

See ya more updates coming on this never ending project :)

16. kriminaal

Always awesome to see your updates Igor. You always get so many great ideas. Will you ever be done?;)

17. meki

meki Elite Member

Probably never :) hehehe... Im planning on working on the tree this weekend.
    And later I will have to find a way to make a new background withought the use of epoxy resin. Something relatively not messy, and not toxic after cure.

18. meki

meki Elite Member

Hello,

Today I had some time to work on the project :)
    I have finally had time to make the tree (lol I scrapped the idea of the tree and made some sort of the branch system to climb on )
    Here are some shots.

I used the PVC pipes to create the branches:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wrapped the nylon rope around the pipes so Liz can climb up etc...

I noticed that the nylon rope does not give the best grip so maybe next week I will change it to something more natural.

The cool thing about this climbing system is that it can be completely disassembled as the rest of the enclosure :)

See ya.
    PS

I also put the second shelf up.

PPS

Oh yea those are Megarays :)))))

19. tlh9162

tlh9162 Elite Member

Looks awesome! Question...With the styrofoam having styrenes in it...with the sealant keep the chemicals from seeping into the enclosure once you add heat and humidity?

20. meki

meki Elite Member

Are you referring to the background I had before?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.