This Disappears When Logged In

1st C.W.D. Project Reloaded - Very image HEAVY

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by meki, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meki

meki Elite Member

Allright....

Please don't be mad :) last two weeks have been hectic for me so I did not post any updates. Meanwhile I have painted the enclosure, installed electrical and attached some coverings for the holes in the enclosure.

Here are the pix :)

Keep in mind that the actual colour looks much darker (Old Mahogany).

[​IMG]

Little shelves still to be attached
    [​IMG]

Top view of the electrical hole where the wire comes out.
    [​IMG]

Middle lamp hole + the emerency exhaust cooling fan.
    [​IMG]

Air intake white grills will move automatically when the fan kicks in
    [​IMG]

This is how the lighting is attached.
    Had to follow the electrical code :) they are completely sealed from inside.
    Used outdoor grade silicone.
    These are metal wire box + ceramic socket.
    [​IMG]

View of left part dig box to be + humidity outlet.
    [​IMG]

This is where humidifier will be attached.
    [​IMG]

Overall view.
    [​IMG]

Sowwy it is a bit short... so please dont hesitate to ask any questions.

---------
    Hey Rich, how come the images don't show up as thumbnails? :(

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Upload the pics to your gallery on HC.
    Very nice enclosure --looks great and is fully functional. The best of both.

3. venus

venus Founding Member

Hey Meki, I fixed the links for you. When using photobucket, if you use the IMG code, they will show up as thumbnails.

4. meki

meki Elite Member

Thank you I will!

5. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Glad to see the images were fixed! (Thanks Marsha.) Will you be adding any real or artificial foliage to the unit? It seems like it is missing something and I believe it is "plants" of some sort.

All in all, it looks great!

6. meki

meki Elite Member

ohh yeah!

There is more to come :)

I still have to make a tree + the dig box will most probably have real plants in it!!!

This weekend I have to install the glass it will be regular 5mm glass(not tempered though its too expensive). but i think it should be ok.

7. kriminaal

Sure the 5 mm is very strong. You won't have any issues. The only time I'd recommend tempered is maybe for an Iguana or large monitor.

8. meki

meki Elite Member

Hello,

Here is a little update, no pix this time :)

I have ordered 2 pieces of 6mm tempered glass with custom etched handles for the enclosure. It is going to be about a month till I get it because of construction holidays. This set me back for about 290$ CAD. The reason for the high price is that it is tempered it adds about 40% of the price.

Also I was told by the glass expert that the regular glass will not last under changing temperature conditions and UVB. *** Just a note for future reference.

It is funny how the glass professional made a comment that is probably very relevant to this portal :) "The things we do for our pets"

PS

On the minor updates:
    I will install some cosmetic plastic caps on the outside of the vents if I can find them this weekend. they have to be 2'' round.

Next steps:
    1. Get and install glass
    2. Buy Herpstat Pro
    3. Order Megaray bulbs - I NEED YOUR HELP GUYS! 3 sockets what confguration is the best!!! ????????????
    4. Buysmall humidifier (has to be quiet)

Please help :)

9. kriminaal

I've never used the megarays. Hopefully someone else can help you out with that. For a small humidifier most of them shouldn't be too noisy, they do make a little bubbling noise though. Maybe CodyW can help you out in that department. He's more familiar with those systems. If you hook up a small humidifier you'll be adding water quite a bit. There should be a way to add a reservoir to it. Send CodyW a PM. (warning though he might not get back to you real fast he's a busy man---and he has a PS3;) )

10. meki

meki Elite Member

Ok, sorry for a super long delay I have had some issues with the Glass Order, they have screwed up the sizes and it came 100mm shorter than it supposed to be ans since it is tempered glass they have to redo it now :).

So Now I am set back by 1.5 weeks sigh....

I promise I will update soon!

11. kriminaal

Glad it was them that messed up and not you. Would have been costly.

12. meki

meki Elite Member

Hello Dear Friends :)

I wanted to let you know that I have not forgotten about the project and still working on it... I have stalled for a while there has been a lot going on in my life so I could not get to it. Me and my girlfriend split up after being together for 2.5 years :(.

I wanted to give a sneak peak of what the enclosure looks like now!
    I have received the glass, the store fixed their mistake free of charge :) so now it fits perfectly into the enclosure!

FYI the glass is Tempered, 6mm, 85cm X 96cm cost $299CAD.

Here what it looks like now!

[​IMG]

Steps to do:
    1. I may have to repaint the enclosure to matte black color.
    2. I need to know what kind of lights to put in there the power ( I need your help on this) I was thinking of RepiUV please help.
    3. I have to buy a pump for waterfall
    4. Fix/secure the shelves

Ohh yeah and the coolest thing ever is that when the top fan turns on the flaps on the sides actually open!!!!! :D

13. kriminaal

Glad to have you back on track Igor.;) The Megaray lights would be a great addition to your enclosure. I myself don't have any experience on what to use for your WD. Perhaps someone else can determine how many would be best.

14. meki

meki Elite Member

Just to remind I have 3 light sockets installed on top, you can see from the previous posts.

15. venus

venus Founding Member

Good to see you back and keeping us up to date :p.....Sorry to hear of your split :(

16. kriminaal

Igor maybe post your lighting question in the Water Dragon forum. You might get more replies from other WD owners. I would think you could use two 160w mvb's. They might give off enough heat as well that you wouldn't need a basking lamp.

17. The JD

The JD Elite Member

Where did you get those side vents that open up automatically when the fan turns on? I've been looking for those everywhere! I can't seem to find a 5" by 5" vent shutter like that.

18. meki

meki Elite Member

The way this works is when the fan turns on on the top of the enclosure (U can see it from earlier pictures) the flaps on the sides open because they are forced to open. The fan is powerful(110v). What it does is it takes the air out from the top and forces the air to go in through the side vents because the enclosure is sealed well. The side vents are light and made out of plastic. They can be found in the plumbing section of Home Depot or Reno Depot stores.

PS I will post new updates soon.

19. meki

meki Elite Member

Hello dear friends,

It has been a while since my last post, and it's a shame ;) Unfortunately I have not been working on the enclosure either. So now it's time to get you up to speed. I was worried about the odor that enclosure had after the epoxy painting so that is the reason I did not do anythign for a while. I emailed people from west system and they told me that it should not be epoxy but most likely wood or wax after epoxy.

So after countless times of washing the enclosure and the background the smell remains but very minimal (kind of sweet odor) I am thinking of removing the background and redoing it completely without epoxy.

What I have done today is I made the kind of swimming pool with water filtration system. The only thing I am worried about now is that it may be too shallow. My chinese water dragon cannot submerge completely in the water so maybe I will have to redoit some time later.
    Question: do water dragons need to be submerged in water to be happy???

Now this is how I did it.

This is one of the containers that I use in the enclosure. As you remember one of them is for swimming and another one I will use for digbox, I still have not found the proper soil.

I purchased the plastic ceiling tile with holes in it like a mesh. (I honestly have no idea what it is caller you can get it in the materials departmend in home depot)

[​IMG]

Cut six pieces of PVC piping that is used to support the tile. it will be used as a barrier between rocks and water.

[​IMG]

Glue them to the container with hot glue gun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Put the mesh back in.

[​IMG]

Cut the hole in the mesh to be able to put the Big ABS tube into the container.

[​IMG]

Drill the holes in the ABS tube for water to be able to go into the tube.

[​IMG]

Now now attach the fiberglass mesh to the plastic mesh to make it finer. This will prevent the pea gravel from dropping into the water.

[​IMG]

Now putting it all together.

[​IMG]

Putting pea gravel and then river stones in on top so the dragon cannot eat pea gravel :)

[​IMG]

Water in :)

[​IMG]

Submerge the filter into the tube.

[​IMG]

And now we are done :)

[​IMG]

By the way the tube will be climbable later :)

Now questions:
    Question1: do water dragons need to be submerged in water to be happy???

Question2: Rich what happened with my original thread on HH? People have been sending me some msgs and interested in how I did the cage?

Things still to do:
    Add shelves
    Add a tree
    Find a humidifier that would be attached to the humidifier tube (already installed)

Commends & Questions are welcome

PS

Mike please don't be mad.

20. kriminaal

Good pics Igor. I think you already know the answer to the submerged question and that's why your suspect about it.;) I'm not a Water Dragon owner but I thinking being able to swim would make them happier. In the future you'll need to build a bigger one anyway as he grows. Thanks for the update.
    Also, be mad about what exactly?:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.