This Disappears When Logged In

1st C.W.D. Project Reloaded - Very image HEAVY

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by meki, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meki

meki Elite Member

Hello again, my dear friends!

To get you up to speed... the original thread has been removed but here are the images from the beginning: m3ki - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Here's original text of the first post.
    "I am a happy new owner of a 10 month old Chinese Water Dragon looking of an inspirations and suggestions from the community

I have been lurking around the site and very glad to have finally become a member!

I am planning on starting building a new home for my CWD since the one I purchaced from Exoterra (45cmx45cm) seems to be too small.

1. I will use Pooka's project as a model except it will be 5 feet wide by 2 feet deep by 4 feet tall. (a bit smaller). Most likely I will use white melamine as material.
    2. My first question is: I was told that melamine will absorb the humnidity over time. Should I apply 1 coat of Epoxy Resine to seal the insides? If so Could you please suggest Brand name? Where to get it? (I am in Montreal Canada) and How do you use Epoxy Resine properly ?

3. I am VERY inspired by kriminaal's fake background from 'Dwarf monitor enclosure'

4. kriminaal could you please give me an insight on how will the background like that behave under very high humidity conditions? such as CWD ?

5. I will be integrating a misting sytem and automatic heating systems as well I will keep everybody posted with pix later.

I am planning on starting this project in couple of weeks.

PS
    I am very concerned with building the Background it will be used on all 3.5 walls of the enclosure. Could anybody help out with steps on how to apply the coats properly so they would not break down under high humidity and claws ?"

I really encourage everybody to read the original thread to get up to speed with the project... there are TONNS of pix to see :).:eek:

So once you are done reading the post check these out:
    I have finally started making the background of the enclosure.
    it will be as high as it is shown on the picture.
    right above the background there will be two shelves on the left and right sides of the cage and sinse the lighting will be installed inside of the enclosure ii want to avoid dragons actually climbing up and burning themselves. This is the main reason there will be no climbable wall on the second "floor" of the enclosure.

The background is being made out of styrofoam....

it took me a while to realize that i should use a torch and a heated knife to carve through the foam :)
    [​IMG]

This is the waterfall to be made
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let's get this thread going again.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

nice! I like how you used foam to make the waterfall. I may steal that when constructing my fire belly toad enclosure.

:)

3. meki

meki Elite Member

You should check out the original thread.... you may learn a lot of interesting things from my mistakes :) it also has all materials and things i used to make this enclosure!

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Cool! I will be very interested to see the finished project!

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Hey Meki where you been man? Looks like you took some time off--slacker(just kidding). Looks like your a pro at it already. Good stuff.

6. meki

meki Elite Member

Hehe....

I have been a bit busy with some other issues + i was trying to figure out how to make the background.

I may need some suggestions on lighting, and humidifying system.

I had some hard time with finding the tubes to use for sprinklers. I may use the humidifier after all.

So my questions are
    1. How many Lamps do I need ? I am thinking 2 Baskin lights, 1 Heat Lamp + UVB Tube.

2. What humidifier can I attach to 2 inch plastic tube to get the steam to the enclosure?

Igor.

PS

I ll try not to slack off anymore :)

7. B4WD

B4WD Active Member

my water dragon cage is about the same size and we have,
    4' repo 5 uvb stripe light
    1 ceramic bulb 100w
    1 infered bulb 70w
    pics are in VIV PICS

8. kriminaal

I'm actually glad you're not rushing through it. Take your time and do it right. If you use a mvb you'll be able to incorporate a uv tube light and a basking light into one. As far as the humidifier hookups. You can use any of them. You'll just have to use your head to silicone an outlet onto it. Keep up the good work Igor. It's looking good.

9. meki

meki Elite Member

Allright....

Another weekend - another update :)!

I had a chance to install a pipe for the humidifier make some additions to the background and make couple of shelves above the background for basking.

Here's the view of the background, a little house/cave for retreat,(it is positioned over the digbox) and you can also see the pipe that you can close which is used for the humidification later.
    [​IMG]

Here you can see the entire background. Should I make the basking shelves larger?
    [​IMG]

Right side/right shelf.
    [​IMG]

Better view of waterfall and the right side.
    [​IMG]

Left Shelf and the humidifier pipe.
    [​IMG]

Some more of the cave.
    [​IMG]

More :)
    [​IMG]

What do you think???

Also, should I make basking shelves larger?

PS
    The shelves will be accessible either by climbing the wall or 2 huge branches in the middle.

10. kriminaal

That's going to be one awesome enclosure! I would suggest making shelves into corner shelves. It won't take up much more room but will give more surface area.

11. meki

meki Elite Member

If you take a closer look they are corner shelves... if I make them more wide i think they will cover all the light.

12. kriminaal

True. That's what I meant. Make the shelves as wide as they are deep. But you know the specs better than I. If you think it will cast too much shadow I wouldn't do it. What size are they now Igor?

13. meki

meki Elite Member

Each one should be about 25''x 8''.

14. kriminaal

I would think that should be a good size.

15. meki

meki Elite Member

I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions in regards of design of this enclosure. Any pointers, comments good ideas to add?

16. meki

meki Elite Member

Another weekend another update :)

So this weekend I had a chance to finish the Styrofoam background model and started covering it with Mortar.

There will be 3 - 5 layers of mortar followed by epoxy and then waterproof concrete membrane + color etc....

Here are the pix of the first layer done.

This is the image of the waterfall to be :)

[​IMG]

This is the image of the right side of the wall.​

[​IMG]

This is the left one :)

[​IMG]

This is the back wall.​

[​IMG]

Here you can see the depth of the main background.​

[​IMG]

Another image.​

[​IMG]

This is it for today :)

Any comments and suggestions welcome.

PS

I want a lot of comments :D

17. kriminaal

Ah yes the fun part. Looks like you're thinning the mortar down nicely. Are you adding the acrylic compound to increase the elasticity of it?

18. meki

meki Elite Member

N I am not,

I will be covering it with epoxy after so I think it could be okay.

What do you think?

I also have this Cement Based waterproofing membrane which i am thinking to try, I am not sure how safe it is though... :confused:

Ig.

19. kriminaal

Yeah I think with the epoxy on top there shouldn't be any issues. I can't say much about the cement coating thing though. I would look into it's properties a bit.

20. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Your enclosure looks like it will be CWD heaven!
    With the materials you're using it sounds like it will weigh a ton when finished... if you think you'll ever need to move it, plan to put it on a support with lots of heavy-duty wheels.
    (I love moving stuff around, so ALL of my furniture is on wheels!)
    Keep the pics coming -- I know how much work it is to build an enclosure. You're doing a fantastic job on this one. I can't wait to see the next stage!
    :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.