This Disappears When Logged In

16 Ft Burmese Killed in Everglades

Discussion in 'Herp Awareness' started by hennisntacanibal, Oct 31, 2011.

1. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

2. Flint

Flint Elite Member

This is why i tend to not pay much attention to the news.. I mean the link to the article about the snakes surviving as far north as DC showed that was absolutely not determined. The snakes died on the 12th night of december, and they were all adult males. For the snakes to survive and spread, that means they need to breed and the offspring need to survive those temps.

Also, i believe burmese and african rocks have been hybridized, the offspring was smaller than both parents. and we all know aggression is specific to each snake. Brian at BHB Reptiles has a burmese named Satan that wants blood 24/7 and an African rock he has no issues with.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, most of us here know why this article is ridiculous. Just.. wow. lol

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Did they shot this snake while it was in the tree?

4. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Sounds like it. and what was the purpose of this? "It shows they can eat large things.".... Really?

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

That migrating north thing sure doesn't go away.
    Even on an episode of python hunters (which is kinda lame in my opinion but not too many reptile shows to choose from) they discovered a python that because it was too cold to move. It had been picked at by birds. Basically eaten alive. Until it warmed up and could get away.
    So sure, I can see them migrating further north. Makes lots of sense. Why not move out of a perfect habitat in Florida that has all the food they want, to a colder climate.

6. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Everything in that article was ludicrous. Stuff like this is why we as herp keepers have so many issues with government policies. And I couldn't find anywhere why they shot the snake.

7. jabberwocky

jabberwocky Elite Member

they shot it because it's a huge animal with no seasonal restriction and it looked like good fun. probably the same type of people in that snapping turtle killing contest deal video a few months back.

8. jabberwocky

jabberwocky Elite Member

oh and they probably just got done watching python hunters and similar fine programming on animal planet.

9. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Yeah, sounds like people who are just plain Ignorant, who don't respect animals!

10. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

Huh "Man eating Python" I swear wasnt that myth debunked a long time ago? I mean yeah if you dont care for them right some not all can crush a man but they dont eat them. This is why "normal" people look at us funny, to much bad info on these poor guys. I feel for all those poor snakes. I also believe that most of the glade snakes were found to have gotten loose after hurricanes and that not many were contributed to owner release.

11. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

it was found on a tree island, an area of habitat in the Everglades that is just a type of island....doubtful a snake digesting that big of a meal would have been able to make it up into a tree.

12. Skumbo

Skumbo Active Member

Maybe it broke deer hunting laws

13. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Population controll. What else arethey to do with ot. Its an invasive species...sucks, but yes open game on them and iggys in flordia. Id go down there and hunt. Heck you can sell the hide from the snake and eat the iggy.

14. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Yeah..and not many people are willing to take in an adult, untame, wild caught burmese python. I know some of the babies that are caught are getting homes, but very few adults are wanted. They can't stay there... Something's gotta happen. At least many of them are studied so that it is known what they eat and how much--putting to rest those rumors of a single burm killing a whole neighborhood of pets in a week, etc...

15. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Mooglebass, you said exactly what I was going to. They are open game down there, no seasonal limit and hunting permits are practically given away.

Jabberwocky, I actually like PYTHON HUNTERS. It is one of the more informative shows around and they do at least attempt to teach fact in place of fiction and myth. It helps that they are all snake people. ;)

16. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

I love the python hunters too! They really do care! They have mentioned it is a SERIOUS uphill battle in regards to editing the show(A few of those battles they have lost too, having to let the show make it seem like they have caught more snakes than they did. One season Shawn mentioned they only caught ONE snake..but they had to make it seem like it was dozens. They claim they are trying to not let that happen again!)

they want to be a positive message for the reptile community! :) I talked to Shawn on facebook. He's a cool guy!

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

there are a few species with documented histories of eating (or attempting) to eat a human being. There is actually a picture of a retic eating a human, but our broad shoulders present a unique challenge to something that normally eats it's prey headfirst. Many snakes get stuck if they make a head first attempt on a human.

I'll comment on the source of the article too - as they are putting so much unnecessary spin in their (man-eating) and the whole paragraph about hypertrophy in cells. unrelated. Just creating drama. I know the story happened - I have seen it from other sources, and it is not in the least surprising.

there is a TON of horribly incorrect information, as has already been pointed out, many of these burms are descendent from lines that were introduced when hurricanes destroyed exotics warehouses a decade earlier!

18. YellowOctopus

YellowOctopus Elite Member

Dragoness, you said a lot of what I was going to. I find it fascinating that the idea that the burms are captives released even though I've never seen or heard of them catching an albino. You'd think, with these hordes of Floridians releasing their captives, that they'd find an albino or two among the apparent army of boids, given the popularity of albinos.

And yeesh the spin on this article. Animal articles with the phrase "man eating" in them should probably just disappear forever, because there's no way it means an accurate, truthful article.

19. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I think I'll adress the article as seperate from the snake, so to speak. The article , to me at least, seemed to be a standard load of media horse****. Someone was desperate for a story. As for the wild populations of Burms and other invasive species, they have to do something with the hundreds(or likely thousands) of these animals that are out there. Hunting is a viable option for population control, always has been. As someone said, how many people are there that could or even would take such a large and completely wild snake? The government has to take care of this somehow, and they will always go with the cheapest method at thier disposal. If they want to pay me a decent salary, I'll happily move down there and work for them doing live catches(I'm not holding my breath).