This Disappears When Logged In

13 Week Old Beardie Food

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Dnm1012, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Dnm1012

Dnm1012 Elite Member

My little guy is 13 weeks old what other insects can he eat as a staple other that crickets? I would like to get away from the crickets for him other than maybe a once or twice a week.

2. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

I never feed crickets anymore. Mealworms are a good staple, I also feed Locust/grasshoppers to mix things up. I breed locust and feed smaller ones to the other animals and adults to the chamelons. They are easy to keep and don't smell or make as much noise as crickets.

3. Dnm1012

Dnm1012 Elite Member

I don't think I really want to do the breeding thing right now. For now I would rather order the insects online or pickup. I didn't think that the meal worms were good for these little guys as a constant feeder. Their shell is to hard for the little guys, is that right?

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You can try roaches, they are excellent food, and at 3 months of age you can offer finely chopped fruit and vegs, the lesser mealworms are o.k for the young dragons, ( Alphitobius spp.).

5. Dnm1012

Dnm1012 Elite Member

He is eating greens and veggies now (well at least a couple of bites a day). I just want to find a better insect for him or at least another alternative to just crickets. Thanks I will try to order some of the roaches know any websites that are good for ordering from?

6. Dnm1012

Dnm1012 Elite Member

I was also thinking of getting some extra small silkworms and trying them too? Or is he to young for those?

7. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Yes you are absolutely right, mealworms are not a good staple because they provide very little nutrition compared to crickets and supers. Mealies also have hard-to-digest exoskeletons and can cause impaction. I give my two year old (lizard, not human! :)) supers as his staple because they're much easier to keep and he doesn't have to move his lazy self as much to catch them. But we feed our baby crix. I don't know what would be a good staple with enough protein but small enough for a beardy that small to digest. My only suggestion would be to cut up some superworms into "bite-sized" pieces and see if he'll eat those. Good luck, though, because with babies the general rule for their eating habits is "if it doesn't move, don't want it."

8. Dnm1012

Dnm1012 Elite Member

I had a few supers for my tree frog and they seemed kind of hard shelled as well especially their heads. Is that ok or is it mostly the body you have to be concerned with?

9. jono

jono Elite Member

I dont know much about supers but i will say you should really go for roaches as a staple to replace crix. Also if you start with a decent amount of roaches and dont feed too heavily from them for the first few months they will pretty much breed all on their own. you will eventually have a huge colony to feed from without worrying about buying them.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Mealworms are fine for them. As long as your temperatures are right there should not be an issue. Its when the temps are too low to allow proper digestion that you have problems.

11. avoidtheboyd

avoidtheboyd Elite Member

yes and as long as you gutload them they have just as much nutrients as crickets.

12. Dnm1012

Dnm1012 Elite Member

Ok that is good to know i will try to pick some up this weekend. What size do ya'll recommend? I am still thinking about getting some roaches just for variation.

13. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

14. Dnm1012

Dnm1012 Elite Member

How old is yours that's eating the medium sized ones?

those silkworms seem a little expensive. How many does you beardie eat at one sitting?

15. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

You are right the worms are expensive. The crickets should not be making any noise yet for you, because they shouldn't have wings. Go on Beautifuldragons.com. This is the site I use and it gives you all the breakdowns. I would also dust the bugs that you are feeding. Small dubia roaches are also very good and easy to keep. As far as the worms we use Coastalsilkworm.com.
    Good luck
    Gary

16. Dnm1012

Dnm1012 Elite Member

I dust the insects every other day for my little guy. Thanks for the website links I am always looking for more info and idea for my little guy.

17. Orca

Orca Elite Member

Along with the other advice, keep in mind that younger bearded dragons need more protein (i.e. bugs) as juveniles and start eating more and more vegetable matter as they become adults.

18. Dnm1012

Dnm1012 Elite Member

On that note at what age are they classified as being a juvenile?

19. shug

shug Member

id try phoenix worms good for calcium n soft bodies

20. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

juveniles usually means anything over approx. 3 months of age.