This Disappears When Logged In

10 Gallon Tank Dimensions

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by Helly2011, May 10, 2011.

1. Helly2011

Helly2011 Member

Hi all,

Sorry if I'm being a bit dumb :-" , but when a viv is described as a 10 gallon tank, what are the dimensions for this? height, width, depth etc? As I want to get the right size for Viper Geckos.

Thanks for any help! ;)

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

3. jewledrose

jewledrose Elite Member

That link is amazing! But, pretty much it is just a regular fish tank that they refer to because they are very commonly used for reptiles. :)

4. Helly2011

Helly2011 Member

that's a point - I've heard of people doing this, is it actually effective?

5. Helly2011

Helly2011 Member

this is great, so translated, a 10 gallon would be for instance the smaller exo terra viv, would that be a fair statement?

Many thanks, the link is uber helpful :cool:

6. mld

The small exo terra one that is 12 x 12 x 12 = 7.48 gallons

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You asked what the size of a 10 gallon tank was. That link gave it to you.
    But you can't really do it as a comparison. Unless you are talking about a volume of liquid.
    The 10 gallon tank will have a floor space of 20"x10"(200 square inches) while the Exoterra, with a floor space of 12"x12"(144 square inches) is not nearly the amount of useable floor space.

8. mld

There isn't much that I would keep in one of those small exo terra 12 x 12 x12 enclosure except for a tarantula or a scorpion!

9. Helly2011

Helly2011 Member

ok, I see what you're saying, I guess the care sheet from this site, which says "Viper geckos can be adequately housed in a shoe box tote (12 qt) with a screen lid or a 10 gallon tank." confused me.

What sized terranium would you keeps this gecko in? in dimensions please!

thanks

10. mld

No, I think that we were saying that a 10 gallon tank is different from the small exo terra tank that is 12 x 12 x 12.

I wouldn't use a shoe tote for them!
    I would go for the 10 gallon 20" x 10" x 12" Since the viper gecko is terrestrial.

11. Helly2011

Helly2011 Member

Sorry for late reply, just been feeling more stupid as I was reading the replies! :"> lol!!! I would not keep an animal in a 12X2X12, it is too small, and I wasn't saying I would.

I was looking at whether the floor space, depth and height would be suitable for one of these guys, as there's so many different opinions. So thanks for the above quote, it cleared it up better for me.

Thank you for the replies and help! :)

12. mld

So are you still planning on getting the Viper gecko?

13. Helly2011

Helly2011 Member

yes, once i have the enclosure set up :)

the next task is finding one! :D

14. mld

Best of luck finding one that suites your needs! too bad you didn't live closer, we had our big semi annual garbage pickup and I found two aquarium a 15 gallon and a 30 gallon! It was great, I picked them up they were so dirty, but now they look great since cleaning them!
    Check out your local classified section on the or Craigs list!

15. Helly2011

Helly2011 Member

boo, that is a shame! but thank you :)

what is craig's list please?

16. mld

Sorry I forgot you live in the UK!
    Craigs list is an online place where you can post thing for sale! I'm sure you will have something like it in your area! Also I think that in the UK they also carry the Atasuki brand tank that are cheaper and some have front openings!

Here is one for the uk
    http://www.ukclassifieds.co.uk/

17. mld

18. Helly2011

Helly2011 Member

Wow, thanks for looking around for me, I wasnt expecting that :)

Thank you mld !!! :D