This Disappears When Logged In

10 Gal. Tank

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by MasterB758, Aug 13, 2017 at 12:11 PM.

1. MasterB758

MasterB758 Member

Hi, can someone tell me some reptiles and amphibians that don't need heating or lighting, are fairly inexpensive, and can live in a 10 gal. long tank.

Thanks, MasterB758

2. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

Not all lot, that is for sure. Maybe fire bellied toads. But they at least need a light for a day/night cycle.

3. MasterB758

MasterB758 Member

Ya, I know I'm not working with too much space but I know that there is a variety of creatures that are okay in here.
    I'm also a member of arachnoboards, but if I was to post this there, I'd get a lot of tarantula suggestions, and I don't like spiders, but if you know any arachnids I'd also be open to those suggestions, but mainly reptiles and amphibians.

4. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Established Member

I don't know of any cold blooded animals that don't need heat. As far as I know, all reptiles and amphibians thermoregulate. Maybe if you explain your situation alittle more we can help you find a great animal, and a simple way to keep herps warm and comfortable?

5. MasterB758

MasterB758 Member

Well I'm honestly shocked, there are many reptiles and amphibians that do not need heating or lighting and do just fine in room temp.

6. MasterB758

MasterB758 Member

If anyone needs an example, something like a Crested gecko does fine in Southern California at room temp. without heating or lighting

7. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Established Member

I understand the logic, but cresteds still need thermoregulation. Even if you provide the exact ideal temp, they need to be able to cool down or heat up beyond that. In the wild, a reptile will find a warm sunny spot to bask in when they need heat, or a shady moist area to cool off in. There's no way to provide that in a confined fish tank without atleast some supplemental heat.

8. MasterB758

MasterB758 Member

I understand that, and I do provide an area that is different from the over all temp. in the tank so it can do that thingy

9. MasterB758

MasterB758 Member

Okay I want to get past this discussion xD, can something please provide me with a list, and if you must you can include animals that need minimal heat

10. Cherux02

Cherux02 Member

Any newts or small aquatics? Use a little filter. African dwarf frogs or African clawed frog or maybe firebellied newt with a little land mass. Not a mix. Some indirect light in a room could be fair for a clawed frog and youll have fun feedings. Possibly an inexpensive heater if you arnt in a temperate area. Not impossible. You can't be shy about water changes though. Regularly changing the water is important. Like at least each weekend.

11. MasterB758

MasterB758 Member

Not to shut you out but, I wanna be able to hold this creature

12. Cherux02

Cherux02 Member

Oh yea. 10s a bit small then. Sorry.