This Disappears When Logged In

1 Month Til Trip!

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by KKHerps, May 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KKHerps

KKHerps Elite Member

After all this time of waiting, it is now a little more than a month until we take off on the plane to south florida! we purchased 2 new snake tongs (50 inches of reinforced steel;))

But, if we are only going for photography, do you think that the people who watch over the everglades could let us move a snake into a better position to snap a photo?

oh and we are also taking a boat trip through a cypress swamp. we hope to see some cool stuff there too.

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

This is from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission Website: I have only copied over the reptile and amphibian parts of the lists.

In other words, if you even get caught touching any of these, you could be in for fines (or even jail time if the ranger who catches you is in a rotten mood, or if you get caught more than once.)

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

4. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Wow, KKHerps, I am so jealous. I can't wait til my son is old enough to go herp hunting with me. Right now he is only 2 years old and while he shows signs of progress, he is still too young to understand the need to not squish the reptiles.
    Please take tons of pic, if need be with a telephoto lens for good close-ups.

5. KKHerps

KKHerps Elite Member

Thank you Dragoness for the info! i will not touch any endagngered or threatened reptiles. but the information that you posted on the species of special concern, do the rules for the other two groups above count for the these? I will make a note not to touch any of these species.

And don't worry David, they're will be many pics of the reptiles there! I might scan some photos from our last trip...

oh and we hope to find a lot on the night cruises! were gonna drive around the swamp for at least 2 hours.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Species that are threatened or endangered are protected both on a state and federal level. Species of special concern are protected only on a state level. You'll still get in trouble for touching them.

7. KKHerps

KKHerps Elite Member

thank you. I will make a note of that.

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

yeah, us Floridians are anal about wildlife harassment. Too many tourists getting eaten by gators ;)

9. KKHerps

KKHerps Elite Member

lol! last time we were in Florida, we couldn't go a single highway without seeing a gator, so I can see why!

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It might also be a good idea to make yourself and your intentions known to the park rangers.
    If they catch you collecting any animals within the confines of the park they may not buy your explanation that you were only going to look at it and turn it loose.

11. KKHerps

KKHerps Elite Member

well Merlin, we will not be collecting the animals. We are merely measuring the snake (just a guess, no rulers, restraining the animal puts stress onto it.) , taking a photo, then we release it into the exact same spot we found it.

12. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I agree with Merlin still, It's ALWAYS a good idea to let the "law" know what you are planning when you do something like that.

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That is what I mean by collecting. You are catching and restraining the snake to photograph it. I did not expect you to leave with it.

14. KKHerps

KKHerps Elite Member

ok I'm sorry. but I will try not to restrain the animal, maybe move it into a better light so I could get a photo. and yes we did talk to the "law". They said that if an animal is endangered/threatened/or is of special concern (which leads back to Dragoness's post), you may not touch the animal in anyway. but if it is none of the 3 categories listed, then you may in fact move the animal for a photo if no harm is done to the animal.

15. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

That's great :)
    So as long as you have those 3 lists your good to go ;)
    Make sure you take LOTS of pictures so I can live vicariously through you :p

16. KKHerps

KKHerps Elite Member

haha don't worry I will have tons of pics! the trip is sometime in july, a little more than a month away! I will have a lot o photos, but I will post them in my album on my info. The pic is bigger and you can fit more:)

17. KKHerps

KKHerps Elite Member

but I will be going herping before that time and I will have more photos.

18. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

GREAT!!!:D
    I always enjoy your photo's, you always have some really cool specimens

19. KKHerps

KKHerps Elite Member

thank you very much! we go herping every weekend and there is always a good surprise!

20. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

you can catch a lot of lizards and inverts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.