Herp Center Reptile Forums
TFH Publications
 
       
^^ The Advertisements above disappear once you log in. Not a member? Register Now, it's free! ^^
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    69

    Good Places to Buy a Savannah Monitor

    Hey guys i've heard that most Savs are captured from the wild and brought here. I want to buy a CBB Sav so i'm not supporting the Wild-Caught Pet trade. Any good places on the internet or in NY to get them?






  2. #2
    Elite Member purplemuffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    2,020

    Re: Good Places to Buy a Savannah Monitor

    Hmm unfortunately that is going to be very difficult. Savannahs are imported and sold for dirt cheap, and they are expensive to own and breed so it will be hard to find a true CBB Savannah. I would keep your eyes open, and likely you will have to have the animal shipped to you if there are only a few people breeding them. Good luck! Maybe another monitor person can come by and know something
    -Kat

    The family:
    1.2.0 Leopard geckos (Bubba, Freckle, Speckle)
    1.0.0 Ball Python (Maru)
    0.1.0 Common Boa (Nagini)
    0.1.0 Cockatiel (Bella)
    0.1.1 Pacman Frog (Guacamole, Chimichurri)

  3. #3
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    537

    Re: Good Places to Buy a Savannah Monitor

    More than likely even if someone claims they have CBB, they probably aren't. Your best bet would be to find one that is CH or just find a healthy WC.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    69

    Re: Good Places to Buy a Savannah Monitor

    I'm ok with Captive Born but not WC.

  5. #5
    Elite Member purplemuffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    2,020

    Re: Good Places to Buy a Savannah Monitor

    Well, I'll see if I can find any people selling captive born, but you might also try a different monitor if you are willing and if you can't find any captive born savs. You CAN find captive born and bred ackie monitors, though they are much smaller animals. They are still super cool and active, plus you don't have to worry about all the wc mess!

    Or if you want a big lizard, you could try for an argentine b/w tegu. They get to a similar large size, but it is FAR easier to find nice CBB animals!
    -Kat

    The family:
    1.2.0 Leopard geckos (Bubba, Freckle, Speckle)
    1.0.0 Ball Python (Maru)
    0.1.0 Common Boa (Nagini)
    0.1.0 Cockatiel (Bella)
    0.1.1 Pacman Frog (Guacamole, Chimichurri)

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    69

    Re: Good Places to Buy a Savannah Monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
    Well, I'll see if I can find any people selling captive born, but you might also try a different monitor if you are willing and if you can't find any captive born savs. You CAN find captive born and bred ackie monitors, though they are much smaller animals. They are still super cool and active, plus you don't have to worry about all the wc mess!

    Or if you want a big lizard, you could try for an argentine b/w tegu. They get to a similar large size, but it is FAR easier to find nice CBB animals!
    I would love to have Ackies later on but i think that they are more Expensive then Savs and are alittle to advanced for me at the moment. On the Tegu's eh i've heard of them and i've seen them but like the Ackies seem more advanced then Savs.

  7. #7
    Elite Member purplemuffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    2,020

    Re: Good Places to Buy a Savannah Monitor

    Ackies are actually considered FAR better starter monitors than Savs(which have a highly specific insect diet and get to be much larger!)

    Savannahs are actually not really starter monitors in my opinion! Some people do okay with them..but they get big and have specific needs--Like an ackie monitor but BIGGER..and more expensive with food
    -Kat

    The family:
    1.2.0 Leopard geckos (Bubba, Freckle, Speckle)
    1.0.0 Ball Python (Maru)
    0.1.0 Common Boa (Nagini)
    0.1.0 Cockatiel (Bella)
    0.1.1 Pacman Frog (Guacamole, Chimichurri)

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    69

    Re: Good Places to Buy a Savannah Monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
    Ackies are actually considered FAR better starter monitors than Savs(which have a highly specific insect diet and get to be much larger!)

    Savannahs are actually not really starter monitors in my opinion! Some people do okay with them..but they get big and have specific needs--Like an ackie monitor but BIGGER..and more expensive with food
    How much are they? That and how hard are they to come by?

  9. #9
    Elite Member purplemuffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    2,020

    Re: Good Places to Buy a Savannah Monitor

    They are a quite a bit more pricy, but the small size(only need like a 4 ft x 2 ft cage) and easier feeding makes them nice. In the long run over their lifespan it will be cheaper--cheaper food, cheaper cage, takes less energy to make it hot enough for them, etc..So imagine costs 10 years later! They are from Australia, so since we can't import from there anymore, they are all CBB!

    They seem to be 200-300. They aren't too common but I see them a lot lately. I'm looking at a few posts about them for sale actually. They are funny guys!
    -Kat

    The family:
    1.2.0 Leopard geckos (Bubba, Freckle, Speckle)
    1.0.0 Ball Python (Maru)
    0.1.0 Common Boa (Nagini)
    0.1.0 Cockatiel (Bella)
    0.1.1 Pacman Frog (Guacamole, Chimichurri)

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    69

    Re: Good Places to Buy a Savannah Monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
    They are a quite a bit more pricy, but the small size(only need like a 4 ft x 2 ft cage) and easier feeding makes them nice. In the long run over their lifespan it will be cheaper--cheaper food, cheaper cage, takes less energy to make it hot enough for them, etc..So imagine costs 10 years later! They are from Australia, so since we can't import from there anymore, they are all CBB!

    They seem to be 200-300. They aren't too common but I see them a lot lately. I'm looking at a few posts about them for sale actually. They are funny guys!
    Eh......that seems really pricey. I'll see.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-22-2011, 01:36 PM
  2. Savannah Monitor
    By frilledlizard21 in forum Monitors
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-12-2011, 04:06 PM
  3. Savannah Monitor
    By hoff5492 in forum Monitors
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-06-2010, 09:39 PM
  4. Savannah Monitor Help
    By packer21 in forum Monitors
    Replies: 129
    Last Post: 06-28-2009, 09:10 AM
  5. How Old Will a Savannah Monitor Get As a Pet?
    By barnkat in forum Monitors
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-26-2009, 09:01 AM
Powered by Herp Center
Herp Center | Richard Brooks
© 2004 - 2014
All rights reserved.
Online Since 2004

          
All material appearing on this web site is copyright © Herp Center, except where stated, and cannot be reproduced without our express written permission.