I went to my monthly Herpetology meeting at the beginning of this month and one of the guys there brought in a really cool baby copperhead that his father had found in his home. He called his son who is familiar with snakes and was describing it to him because he thought it was likely a non-venomous variety. His son couldn't tell much by the description at first, but when his father mentioned one key physical characteristic, the bright neon yellow-ish/green-ish colored tail, he knew right away what it was and told him not to pick it up and make sure to keep all the grandkids and pets away until he could get there. But he went and caught it and brought it to the herp meeting in a small, 2.5 gallon, plastic reptile box for everyone to see. It was only 4" - 5" long, tops, and it was the first time I saw one that small in person that still had the colored tail. I knew right away it was a hot snake just by looking at the massive head the thing had, it was almost unreal how big that tiny snake's head was, then considering how big the venom glands must be.
But to the point: We have the herp society meetings at my Alma Mater, UAB, and it's headed up by the head Biology professor there. He told us that the baby copperhead, if it were to bite you, would inject a person with more venom than a fully matured specimen. He said a lot of people believe that to be a myth, but it is not. He said that hatchling venomous snakes do not yet understand the concept of conserving their limited supply of venom for feeding and long-term survival purposes and out of fear will blow it's whole load in that one envenomation event, so it is true that hatchling venomous snakes are even more dangerous, in terms of envenomation, than adults, and the venom of the hatchling is every bit as potent. Adult snakes will many times just strike and it will result in a "dry bite", however sometimes that's not the case and they do actually inject venom, but it's usually only a very small amount compared to what they are actually capable of.
Just thought I'd throw that out there for those of you, who like me, had heard conflicting information about the dangers of venomous hatchlings, just FYI.