Herp Center Reptile Forums
TFH Publications
 
       
^^ The Advertisements above disappear once you log in. Not a member? Register Now, it's free! ^^
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ok
    Posts
    152

    Question Sliding Glass Door Track for Enclosure

    Where is everyone buying their sliding glass tracks, my tank is going to be 5' long so i need like a 4 1/2' track? I have checked lowes and home depot. Any suggestions?






  2. #2
    HH Block Leader kriminaal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    9,972

    Re: Sliding Glass Door Track for Enclosure

    You can make some out of a pc of solid wood.
    Just rips some cuts on a tablesaw with a space between them.
    Mike

    Help us help others


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  3. #3
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ok
    Posts
    152

    Re: Sliding Glass Door Track for Enclosure

    I am going to use 1/4" glass I don't think a table saw will cut that thick will it?

  4. #4
    Elite Member murrindindi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    U.K
    Posts
    10,596

    Re: Sliding Glass Door Track for Enclosure

    Quote Originally Posted by Dnm1012 View Post
    I am going to use 1/4" glass I don't think a table saw will cut that thick will it?
    Send a PM to "Dragoness", she ordered some a short time go.

  5. #5
    Elite Member HydroDragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    ND
    Posts
    423

    Re: Sliding Glass Door Track for Enclosure

    If you use the table saw properly you will have no problem cutting a 1/4" track. Just set the Fence to rip a groove 1/4" from the edge of your material. Run it through. Then flip your piece over and run it through the oposite way. Use a wood Chisel or Flat head screw driver to clean the groove out. Its a very simple process. Then you can 45* your ends and nail it all together. And you have your Home made track. This will Save you money too im sure. You can also wax the groove's you cut to make the glass slide easy and not drag so hard.

    Just put your thinking cap on. These projects are simple do it yourself things so long as you can read a tape measure.

  6. #6
    Elite Member murrindindi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    U.K
    Posts
    10,596

    Re: Sliding Glass Door Track for Enclosure

    Quote Originally Posted by HydroDragon View Post
    If you use the table saw properly you will have no problem cutting a 1/4" track. Just set the Fence to rip a groove 1/4" from the edge of your material. Run it through. Then flip your piece over and run it through the oposite way. Use a wood Chisel or Flat head screw driver to clean the groove out. Its a very simple process. Then you can 45* your ends and nail it all together. And you have your Home made track. This will Save you money too im sure. You can also wax the groove's you cut to make the glass slide easy and not drag so hard.

    Just put your thinking cap on. These projects are simple do it yourself things so long as you can read a tape measure.
    It IS quite an easy thing to do, but the plastic or aluminium tracks are much smoother, and if wood`s used it can shrink slightly, also, it would probably be necessary to have the edge of the glass rounded off, which is VERY expensive, (although you can do it yourself using an oilstone). I personally would use the ready made.

  7. #7
    Elite Member kaianuanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    orlando, florida
    Posts
    110

    Re: Sliding Glass Door Track for Enclosure

    My way of going about this would be to use a solid piece of wood and a router.

  8. #8
    Kittes are so nice! MoogleBass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Muncie, IN
    Posts
    3,093

    Re: Sliding Glass Door Track for Enclosure

    3 ALUMINUM TRACK-14 GLASS..

    Easier to buy something like this Vinyl Guide on this page for the glass, wax it and then rip your wood to what you need. Cheaper too.
    Old Woman: He called you a cowboy. What did he mean? What are you?

    Spike: Just a humble bounty hunter, ma'am.




    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  9. #9
    Administrator Merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Ok.
    Posts
    31,763
    • My Reptiles

    Re: Sliding Glass Door Track for Enclosure

    Quote Originally Posted by murrindindi View Post
    it would probably be necessary to have the edge of the glass rounded off, which is VERY expensive, (although you can do it yourself using an oilstone).
    Whenever I have had glass cut the shop smoothed the edges as part of the process. Otherwise handling a large peice of plate glass with razor edges would be quite hazardous.
    Merlin,
    What's Life Without A Little Magic!

  10. #10
    Elite Member murrindindi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    U.K
    Posts
    10,596

    Re: Sliding Glass Door Track for Enclosure

    Quote Originally Posted by MoogleBass View Post
    3 ALUMINUM TRACK-14 GLASS..

    Easier to buy something like this Vinyl Guide on this page for the glass, wax it and then rip your wood to what you need. Cheaper too.
    Perfect!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Sliding Glass Doors?
    By MadDog in forum General Construction
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-29-2009, 12:05 AM
  2. Trouble Finding Sliding Glass Door Hardware
    By Dragoness in forum General Construction
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-06-2009, 02:23 PM
  3. How To Do Sliding Glass Doors
    By salmonella in forum General Construction
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-15-2008, 08:04 PM
  4. Sliding Glass Front
    By Rakoladycz in forum General Construction
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-07-2007, 09:25 AM
  5. Sliding Glass Doors
    By fire2225ems in forum General Construction
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-13-2007, 11:11 AM

Tags for this Thread

Powered by Herp Center
Herp Center | Richard Brooks
© 2004 - 2014
All rights reserved.
Online Since 2004

All material appearing on this web site is copyright © Herp Center, except where stated, and cannot be reproduced without our express written permission.